Nov 4, 2010, 12:38 PM EDT
Aside from beating the defending (but struggling) Stanley Cup champions in Chicago, there hasn’t been a whole lot of good news for the New Jersey Devils this season.
Well, of the two star injuries that occurred this week, at least one of them seems like it won’t have that big of an impact on the team. While the Devils are a notoriously shadowy organization when it comes to telling the truth about injuries, Martin Brodeur seems like he might just be OK after apparently bruising his elbow.
In fact, if he heals up quickly enough, Brodeur might even be ready to play as soon as Friday. Tom Gulitti of the Fire & Ice blog has more.
“I just kind of got a stinger,” Brodeur said. “It hit me around – not the funny bone, but right around the bound with the nerve and I just kind of lost all the strength in my hand. I couldn’t hold a stick. I tried. I went to play the puck and it was weak.”
Brodeur said he never saw Kane shoot the puck,
‘I didn’t react to it,” he said. “It hit me right on the elbow.”
Brodeur said he gets hit in the elbow like that “a lot” in practice, “but it’s pretty rare that it happens in a game.”
“From past experience, with big bruises like that it usually takes me a couple of days to feel 100 percent,” he said. “But we’ll see how this one reacts. I’m pretty sure (he’ll be able to play Friday).”
Despite the fact that the team rallied around then-unknown backup Scott Clemmensen two seasons ago and Johan Hedberg has more than a bit of starter’s experience, there’s little doubt that the Devils must be relieved that Brodeur’s injury seems minor.
Unless, of course, they’re just keeping everyone in the dark. You really never know with Lou Lamoriello & Co. Here’s video of the injury from NHL.com.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 60
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 35
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 31
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 19
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 53
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 29
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)