Nov 4, 2010, 12:38 PM EDT
Aside from beating the defending (but struggling) Stanley Cup champions in Chicago, there hasn’t been a whole lot of good news for the New Jersey Devils this season.
Well, of the two star injuries that occurred this week, at least one of them seems like it won’t have that big of an impact on the team. While the Devils are a notoriously shadowy organization when it comes to telling the truth about injuries, Martin Brodeur seems like he might just be OK after apparently bruising his elbow.
In fact, if he heals up quickly enough, Brodeur might even be ready to play as soon as Friday. Tom Gulitti of the Fire & Ice blog has more.
“I just kind of got a stinger,” Brodeur said. “It hit me around – not the funny bone, but right around the bound with the nerve and I just kind of lost all the strength in my hand. I couldn’t hold a stick. I tried. I went to play the puck and it was weak.”
Brodeur said he never saw Kane shoot the puck,
‘I didn’t react to it,” he said. “It hit me right on the elbow.”
Brodeur said he gets hit in the elbow like that “a lot” in practice, “but it’s pretty rare that it happens in a game.”
“From past experience, with big bruises like that it usually takes me a couple of days to feel 100 percent,” he said. “But we’ll see how this one reacts. I’m pretty sure (he’ll be able to play Friday).”
Despite the fact that the team rallied around then-unknown backup Scott Clemmensen two seasons ago and Johan Hedberg has more than a bit of starter’s experience, there’s little doubt that the Devils must be relieved that Brodeur’s injury seems minor.
Unless, of course, they’re just keeping everyone in the dark. You really never know with Lou Lamoriello & Co. Here’s video of the injury from NHL.com.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 3
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)