Nov 4, 2010, 12:38 PM EST
Aside from beating the defending (but struggling) Stanley Cup champions in Chicago, there hasn’t been a whole lot of good news for the New Jersey Devils this season.
Well, of the two star injuries that occurred this week, at least one of them seems like it won’t have that big of an impact on the team. While the Devils are a notoriously shadowy organization when it comes to telling the truth about injuries, Martin Brodeur seems like he might just be OK after apparently bruising his elbow.
In fact, if he heals up quickly enough, Brodeur might even be ready to play as soon as Friday. Tom Gulitti of the Fire & Ice blog has more.
“I just kind of got a stinger,” Brodeur said. “It hit me around – not the funny bone, but right around the bound with the nerve and I just kind of lost all the strength in my hand. I couldn’t hold a stick. I tried. I went to play the puck and it was weak.”
Brodeur said he never saw Kane shoot the puck,
‘I didn’t react to it,” he said. “It hit me right on the elbow.”
Brodeur said he gets hit in the elbow like that “a lot” in practice, “but it’s pretty rare that it happens in a game.”
“From past experience, with big bruises like that it usually takes me a couple of days to feel 100 percent,” he said. “But we’ll see how this one reacts. I’m pretty sure (he’ll be able to play Friday).”
Despite the fact that the team rallied around then-unknown backup Scott Clemmensen two seasons ago and Johan Hedberg has more than a bit of starter’s experience, there’s little doubt that the Devils must be relieved that Brodeur’s injury seems minor.
Unless, of course, they’re just keeping everyone in the dark. You really never know with Lou Lamoriello & Co. Here’s video of the injury from NHL.com.
- In praise of the Hamburglar 11
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 6
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 17
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 35
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 53
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (173)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)