Nov 4, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
For recaps of the night’s other six games, click here.
This finishes the Calgary Flames’ five-game home stand (apparently their longest of the season) at 2-3. That being said, the Red Wings almost had to win this one, as they out-shot the Flames 33-17. Miikka Kiprusoff deserved better in this one, but Jimmy Howard earned the win despite only needing to make 16 out of 17 saves to Kipper’s 31 out of 33.
Ed Jovanovski was the unexpected star of the game, scoring his first career hat trick, including the game-winner. The Coyotes converted on two of their three power plays last night to win this one and stick with the other teams in the highly competitive Pacific Division.
Randy Carlyle and Co. might not be out of the woods altogether, but for one night, the Ducks beat one of the NHL’s hottest teams. They couldn’t keep Steve Stamkos off the score sheet (one power-play goal), but Anaheim took it in overtime. Captain Ryan Getzlaf scored a nice game-winner thanks to a nice pass by Teemu Selanne. Selanne scored two points (one goal, one assist) to move to 1,274 total, tied for 33rd all-time with Al MacInnis.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 75
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 3
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 33
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Expansion process underway as NHL sends out applications (94)
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues (76)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)