Nov 4, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
As Joe speculated yesterday, Drew Doughty is just about guaranteed to be back after suffering from post-concussion syndrome since the Los Angeles Kings played against the Carolina Hurricanes on October 20.
It is believed that Doughty suffered from a concussion thanks to a hit by Erik Cole.
While there was plenty of speculation from various sources, the Kings announced that they activated Doughty today, so it’s probably safe to start him in your fantasy leagues and tune in to see the team play against the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight at 10:30 PM ET.
Here is a little more from the team, which also activated center Scott Parse today. (Note that the team somewhat laughably is referring to the concussion as an “upper body injury.”)
Doughty, 20, suffered an upper-body injury Oct. 20 vs. Carolina and has missed the last six Kings games. He has one point (an assist), six penalty minutes and a plus-2 rating in five games this season. Last season the 6-0, 212-pound native of London, Ontario was a finalist for the Norris Trophy and named a Second-Team NHL All-Star as he recorded 59 points (16-43=59) and 54 penalty minutes in all 82 regular season games. Among NHL defensemen last season he ranked: third in points, tied for second in goals, tied for fifth in assists, tied for second in power-play goals (9), second in power-play points (31), tied for fifth in power-play assists (22) and first in game-winning goals (5).
Parse, 26, suffered a lower-body injury during training camp and has missed all 11 Kings games so far this season. Last season the 5-11, 188-pound native of Portage, Michigan had 24 points (11-13=24) and 22 penalty minutes in 59 regular season games. He was tied for 10th among NHL rookies in goals and tied for second among league freshman (first among forwards) with a plus-13 rating.
We’ll pass along word if Doughty has any late hiccups, but assume that he’ll pay tonight unless otherwise noted.
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 12
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 6
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 34
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)