Nov 4, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
As Joe speculated yesterday, Drew Doughty is just about guaranteed to be back after suffering from post-concussion syndrome since the Los Angeles Kings played against the Carolina Hurricanes on October 20.
It is believed that Doughty suffered from a concussion thanks to a hit by Erik Cole.
While there was plenty of speculation from various sources, the Kings announced that they activated Doughty today, so it’s probably safe to start him in your fantasy leagues and tune in to see the team play against the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight at 10:30 PM ET.
Here is a little more from the team, which also activated center Scott Parse today. (Note that the team somewhat laughably is referring to the concussion as an “upper body injury.”)
Doughty, 20, suffered an upper-body injury Oct. 20 vs. Carolina and has missed the last six Kings games. He has one point (an assist), six penalty minutes and a plus-2 rating in five games this season. Last season the 6-0, 212-pound native of London, Ontario was a finalist for the Norris Trophy and named a Second-Team NHL All-Star as he recorded 59 points (16-43=59) and 54 penalty minutes in all 82 regular season games. Among NHL defensemen last season he ranked: third in points, tied for second in goals, tied for fifth in assists, tied for second in power-play goals (9), second in power-play points (31), tied for fifth in power-play assists (22) and first in game-winning goals (5).
Parse, 26, suffered a lower-body injury during training camp and has missed all 11 Kings games so far this season. Last season the 5-11, 188-pound native of Portage, Michigan had 24 points (11-13=24) and 22 penalty minutes in 59 regular season games. He was tied for 10th among NHL rookies in goals and tied for second among league freshman (first among forwards) with a plus-13 rating.
We’ll pass along word if Doughty has any late hiccups, but assume that he’ll pay tonight unless otherwise noted.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 12
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 13
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)