Nov 4, 2010, 4:23 PM EDT
As Joe speculated yesterday, Drew Doughty is just about guaranteed to be back after suffering from post-concussion syndrome since the Los Angeles Kings played against the Carolina Hurricanes on October 20.
It is believed that Doughty suffered from a concussion thanks to a hit by Erik Cole.
While there was plenty of speculation from various sources, the Kings announced that they activated Doughty today, so it’s probably safe to start him in your fantasy leagues and tune in to see the team play against the Tampa Bay Lightning tonight at 10:30 PM ET.
Here is a little more from the team, which also activated center Scott Parse today. (Note that the team somewhat laughably is referring to the concussion as an “upper body injury.”)
Doughty, 20, suffered an upper-body injury Oct. 20 vs. Carolina and has missed the last six Kings games. He has one point (an assist), six penalty minutes and a plus-2 rating in five games this season. Last season the 6-0, 212-pound native of London, Ontario was a finalist for the Norris Trophy and named a Second-Team NHL All-Star as he recorded 59 points (16-43=59) and 54 penalty minutes in all 82 regular season games. Among NHL defensemen last season he ranked: third in points, tied for second in goals, tied for fifth in assists, tied for second in power-play goals (9), second in power-play points (31), tied for fifth in power-play assists (22) and first in game-winning goals (5).
Parse, 26, suffered a lower-body injury during training camp and has missed all 11 Kings games so far this season. Last season the 5-11, 188-pound native of Portage, Michigan had 24 points (11-13=24) and 22 penalty minutes in 59 regular season games. He was tied for 10th among NHL rookies in goals and tied for second among league freshman (first among forwards) with a plus-13 rating.
We’ll pass along word if Doughty has any late hiccups, but assume that he’ll pay tonight unless otherwise noted.
- Are the Pens leaning towards trading Letang? 33
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 16
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 14
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 35
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 58
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 93
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 12
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead