Nov 4, 2010, 1:39 PM EDT
George Parros seems to skate – or maybe I should say, beat people up – to the beat of his own drum.
He breaks the stereotype of being a knuckle-dragging troglodyte of an enforcer, as Parros has an ivy-league background. So it probably shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that he’s bringing his own spin to a great cause. (Then again, enforcers often break type, as they range from troubled but lovable giants such as Bob Probert to outright goofballs with Twitter accounts such as Paul Bissonnette.)
Many hockey players are getting involved with the month-long charitable event “Movember” in which many are growing mustaches to generate attention for various cancer-related causes. Parros is already notorious for his astounding upper-lip critter, so he graciously agreed to “start from scratch” to give his teammates a ‘stache-growing chance.
You can see the ‘stache shaving in the video above, but the Los Angeles Times has the story as well as before and after photos.
The Ducks announced Wednesday that in an effort to raise funds and awareness for cancers affecting men, 13 of their players will grow mustaches in honor of “Movember.” Ducks right wing George Parros, who has gained notoriety for his signature mustache during his tenure in the NHL, is leading the charge during the 30-day mustache-growing movement in November. Parros will “start from scratch” by shaving and re-growing his moustache.
“My teammates and I are excited to join this great cause,” Parros said. “It’s a fun way to bring awareness to cancers affecting men. I look forward to seeing what kind of ‘staches our team can produce.”
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 23
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)