Nov 4, 2010, 1:39 PM EST
George Parros seems to skate – or maybe I should say, beat people up – to the beat of his own drum.
He breaks the stereotype of being a knuckle-dragging troglodyte of an enforcer, as Parros has an ivy-league background. So it probably shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that he’s bringing his own spin to a great cause. (Then again, enforcers often break type, as they range from troubled but lovable giants such as Bob Probert to outright goofballs with Twitter accounts such as Paul Bissonnette.)
Many hockey players are getting involved with the month-long charitable event “Movember” in which many are growing mustaches to generate attention for various cancer-related causes. Parros is already notorious for his astounding upper-lip critter, so he graciously agreed to “start from scratch” to give his teammates a ‘stache-growing chance.
You can see the ‘stache shaving in the video above, but the Los Angeles Times has the story as well as before and after photos.
The Ducks announced Wednesday that in an effort to raise funds and awareness for cancers affecting men, 13 of their players will grow mustaches in honor of “Movember.” Ducks right wing George Parros, who has gained notoriety for his signature mustache during his tenure in the NHL, is leading the charge during the 30-day mustache-growing movement in November. Parros will “start from scratch” by shaving and re-growing his moustache.
“My teammates and I are excited to join this great cause,” Parros said. “It’s a fun way to bring awareness to cancers affecting men. I look forward to seeing what kind of ‘staches our team can produce.”
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 2
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 20
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 29
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 6
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 47
- Playoff bubble watch — Rangers edition 14
- Video: Emotional day for Martin St. Louis ends in OT loss for Rangers 27
- Video: Caps, Flyers engage in another line brawl 53
- PHT’s 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 28
- Winners and losers of the 2014 trade deadline 48
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Sabres send Miller, Ott to Blues for package including Halak, Stewart (74)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)