Nov 4, 2010, 1:39 PM EDT
George Parros seems to skate – or maybe I should say, beat people up – to the beat of his own drum.
He breaks the stereotype of being a knuckle-dragging troglodyte of an enforcer, as Parros has an ivy-league background. So it probably shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that he’s bringing his own spin to a great cause. (Then again, enforcers often break type, as they range from troubled but lovable giants such as Bob Probert to outright goofballs with Twitter accounts such as Paul Bissonnette.)
Many hockey players are getting involved with the month-long charitable event “Movember” in which many are growing mustaches to generate attention for various cancer-related causes. Parros is already notorious for his astounding upper-lip critter, so he graciously agreed to “start from scratch” to give his teammates a ‘stache-growing chance.
You can see the ‘stache shaving in the video above, but the Los Angeles Times has the story as well as before and after photos.
The Ducks announced Wednesday that in an effort to raise funds and awareness for cancers affecting men, 13 of their players will grow mustaches in honor of “Movember.” Ducks right wing George Parros, who has gained notoriety for his signature mustache during his tenure in the NHL, is leading the charge during the 30-day mustache-growing movement in November. Parros will “start from scratch” by shaving and re-growing his moustache.
“My teammates and I are excited to join this great cause,” Parros said. “It’s a fun way to bring awareness to cancers affecting men. I look forward to seeing what kind of ‘staches our team can produce.”
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)