Nov 4, 2010, 1:39 PM EDT
George Parros seems to skate – or maybe I should say, beat people up – to the beat of his own drum.
He breaks the stereotype of being a knuckle-dragging troglodyte of an enforcer, as Parros has an ivy-league background. So it probably shouldn’t come as much of a surprise that he’s bringing his own spin to a great cause. (Then again, enforcers often break type, as they range from troubled but lovable giants such as Bob Probert to outright goofballs with Twitter accounts such as Paul Bissonnette.)
Many hockey players are getting involved with the month-long charitable event “Movember” in which many are growing mustaches to generate attention for various cancer-related causes. Parros is already notorious for his astounding upper-lip critter, so he graciously agreed to “start from scratch” to give his teammates a ‘stache-growing chance.
You can see the ‘stache shaving in the video above, but the Los Angeles Times has the story as well as before and after photos.
The Ducks announced Wednesday that in an effort to raise funds and awareness for cancers affecting men, 13 of their players will grow mustaches in honor of “Movember.” Ducks right wing George Parros, who has gained notoriety for his signature mustache during his tenure in the NHL, is leading the charge during the 30-day mustache-growing movement in November. Parros will “start from scratch” by shaving and re-growing his moustache.
“My teammates and I are excited to join this great cause,” Parros said. “It’s a fun way to bring awareness to cancers affecting men. I look forward to seeing what kind of ‘staches our team can produce.”
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)