Nov 3, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
As the Dallas Stars announcing crew pointed out, it’s surprising just how much vitriol was on display between the Stars and Pittsburgh Penguins – two teams who rarely play against each other.
Yet as the game quickly spiraled out of control, tempers flared in a big way. Beginning with a fight between Jamie Benn and Tyler Kennedy in the waning seconds of the first period, the two teams engaged in four fights through the first two frames. The tension boiled over the most about 12 minutes into the second period, as Kris Letang fought Brenden Morrow and then Sidney Crosby dropped the gloves with Matt Niskanen.
Check out the unexpected video above. Who do you think won the fight? All I know is that it’s a lot more becoming than some of Crosby’s other scraps, as he didn’t hit Niskanen below the belt at any point.
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 1
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 14
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 56
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)