Nov 3, 2010, 11:55 PM EST
As the Dallas Stars announcing crew pointed out, it’s surprising just how much vitriol was on display between the Stars and Pittsburgh Penguins – two teams who rarely play against each other.
Yet as the game quickly spiraled out of control, tempers flared in a big way. Beginning with a fight between Jamie Benn and Tyler Kennedy in the waning seconds of the first period, the two teams engaged in four fights through the first two frames. The tension boiled over the most about 12 minutes into the second period, as Kris Letang fought Brenden Morrow and then Sidney Crosby dropped the gloves with Matt Niskanen.
Check out the unexpected video above. Who do you think won the fight? All I know is that it’s a lot more becoming than some of Crosby’s other scraps, as he didn’t hit Niskanen below the belt at any point.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)