Nov 3, 2010, 11:14 PM EST
While Brent Johnson’s great start to the season is coming to a screeching halt in Dallas, two other goalies played excellent hockey tonight. The first performer shouldn’t come as a surprise while the second one might raise a few eyebrows.
- Gosh, Tim Thomas is really slipping isn’t he? He brought a .50 GAA into tonight’s game but allowed four times that many (two) tonight. Jeez, what a slacker.
In all seriousness, Thomas put another great performance together, stopping 33 out of 35 shots to help the Bruins beat the woeful Buffalo Sabres 5-2. He is now an amazing 7-0 to start the 2010-11 season, even if his numbers went from “impossible” to “improbable.”
- When I think of goalies who fly under the radar, I think of Tomas Vokoun and Chris Mason. Normally, I would expect Vokoun to produce the better performance, but tonight Mason was probably the best goalie in the NHL.
He made a staggering 52 saves tonight to help the Atlanta Thrashers eek out a 4-3 win over the Florida Panthers.
To give you an idea of how much of a difference maker Mason was, the former Predators goalie faced as many shots (23) in the second period as Vokoun did in the entire game. Despite being out-shot 23-5 in that period, Mason helped the Thrashers keep the game tied 2-2. Those 55 shots tied a Florida Panthers record set against the Washington Capitals on December 18, 2005, yet Mason helped Atlanta steal the game.
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 47
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 42
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 14
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 21
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 32
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (157)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)