Nov 3, 2010, 9:15 PM EST
Patrick Roy is, by the estimation of many, the greatest goalie in hockey history. Even people who poke holes in his game will admit that he at least needs to be in the discussion.
But with that unique talent comes plenty of character. Simply put, Roy is a weirdo who says (and does) some pretty quirky things.
The latest edition of “What’s on Roy’s mind?” comes in the form of the goalie turned junior hockey front office man’s comments about former junior/AHL coach Guy Boucher’s defensive systems and the supposed effect they have had on the style of play in juniors.
First, Roy told the French web site Le Soleil the system “perhaps delayed the development of some young players.” Roy also said his team will “play hockey as it should be played,” meaning more wide open and free-wheeling.
Roy then told the Journal de Montreal that, “Boucher did nothing to help our league advance. His defensive system was copied by many other teams. I know my comments will not please Guy, but for me hockey should be focused on offense not defense.”
Yet Cristodero notes that Boucher’s teams consistently ranked in the top of each given league in offense, including in his current job with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Boucher puts the whole thing to rest (maybe) with this retort.
So, what did Boucher say?
“I wouldn’t be pretentious enough to say I had that much impact, either positive or negative on an entire league,” he said. “His comments were about the fact that some ems were playing the same defensive style that we had. The funny thing is my teams were always the No. 1 offensive teams. We were first in the league in junior in offense, the same last year in the American League (at Hamilton). This year we are the top team in the NHL. We spend 80 percent of our time working on offense. If you watch our practices you’ll see, so that’s all I’m focusing on.”
Well, there you go.
- Miller’s second straight shutout puts Canucks in NHL lead 15
- Video: Ennis fires behind his back while falling, scores 3
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 6
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 2
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 25
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 2
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 5
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 3
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Report: Perron’s name comes up as Oilers seek trade for ‘top center’ (45)
- Video: Bruins see two goals waved off (44)
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? (43)