Nov 3, 2010, 9:15 PM EDT
Patrick Roy is, by the estimation of many, the greatest goalie in hockey history. Even people who poke holes in his game will admit that he at least needs to be in the discussion.
But with that unique talent comes plenty of character. Simply put, Roy is a weirdo who says (and does) some pretty quirky things.
The latest edition of “What’s on Roy’s mind?” comes in the form of the goalie turned junior hockey front office man’s comments about former junior/AHL coach Guy Boucher’s defensive systems and the supposed effect they have had on the style of play in juniors.
First, Roy told the French web site Le Soleil the system “perhaps delayed the development of some young players.” Roy also said his team will “play hockey as it should be played,” meaning more wide open and free-wheeling.
Roy then told the Journal de Montreal that, “Boucher did nothing to help our league advance. His defensive system was copied by many other teams. I know my comments will not please Guy, but for me hockey should be focused on offense not defense.”
Yet Cristodero notes that Boucher’s teams consistently ranked in the top of each given league in offense, including in his current job with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Boucher puts the whole thing to rest (maybe) with this retort.
So, what did Boucher say?
“I wouldn’t be pretentious enough to say I had that much impact, either positive or negative on an entire league,” he said. “His comments were about the fact that some ems were playing the same defensive style that we had. The funny thing is my teams were always the No. 1 offensive teams. We were first in the league in junior in offense, the same last year in the American League (at Hamilton). This year we are the top team in the NHL. We spend 80 percent of our time working on offense. If you watch our practices you’ll see, so that’s all I’m focusing on.”
Well, there you go.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 16
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 23
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 11
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 80
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 25
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 58
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 89
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (89)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT