Nov 3, 2010, 9:15 PM EDT
Patrick Roy is, by the estimation of many, the greatest goalie in hockey history. Even people who poke holes in his game will admit that he at least needs to be in the discussion.
But with that unique talent comes plenty of character. Simply put, Roy is a weirdo who says (and does) some pretty quirky things.
The latest edition of “What’s on Roy’s mind?” comes in the form of the goalie turned junior hockey front office man’s comments about former junior/AHL coach Guy Boucher’s defensive systems and the supposed effect they have had on the style of play in juniors.
First, Roy told the French web site Le Soleil the system “perhaps delayed the development of some young players.” Roy also said his team will “play hockey as it should be played,” meaning more wide open and free-wheeling.
Roy then told the Journal de Montreal that, “Boucher did nothing to help our league advance. His defensive system was copied by many other teams. I know my comments will not please Guy, but for me hockey should be focused on offense not defense.”
Yet Cristodero notes that Boucher’s teams consistently ranked in the top of each given league in offense, including in his current job with the Tampa Bay Lightning. Boucher puts the whole thing to rest (maybe) with this retort.
So, what did Boucher say?
“I wouldn’t be pretentious enough to say I had that much impact, either positive or negative on an entire league,” he said. “His comments were about the fact that some ems were playing the same defensive style that we had. The funny thing is my teams were always the No. 1 offensive teams. We were first in the league in junior in offense, the same last year in the American League (at Hamilton). This year we are the top team in the NHL. We spend 80 percent of our time working on offense. If you watch our practices you’ll see, so that’s all I’m focusing on.”
Well, there you go.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 1
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 26
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)