Nov 3, 2010, 11:40 PM EDT
There are three late games (Detroit-Calgary, Nashville-Phoenix and Tampa Bay-Phoenix) that we’ll recap tomorrow morning. In the mean time, enjoy summaries of the six other games of the night.
The Islanders might want to hand the reins to Dwayne Roloson for a little while. That’s because Rick DiPietro allowed seven goals on 32 shots as the Hurricanes (ahem) blew the Islanders away. Eric Staal had a goal and an assist, Sergei Samsonov produced three assists and Tom Kostopoulos had two assists and a +4 rating.
Washington brought a 3-1 lead into the third period, only to see it wash away as Toronto scored three goals in a little more than three minutes to take a stunning 4-3 lead. Alex Semin ultimately tied it up on the power play and then clinched it with a second shootout goal to give the Capitals the win.
Ryan Miller was out with an injury, but the results are similar: the Sabres are still struggling and the Bruins still seem dominant. Read about another dominant Tim Thomas performance in this post.
Chris Mason made an impressive 52 saves to help the Thrashers steal this one. Fredrik Modin scored two goals, Dustin Byfuglien tied the game up 3-3 in the third and Niclas Bergfors earned the game winner for Atlanta. Jason Garrison, Steven Reinprecht and Bryan Allen scored for the Panthers.
The Stars dominated the Penguins in a surprisingly fight-filled (more on that later tonight) and one-sided affair. Loui Eriksson scored two goals and one assist while Kari Lehtonen earned a win as Brent Johnson’s magical run hit a speed bump.
The Devils won the game, but lost Martin Brodeur (it’s just unclear how long he will be out). Here’s one strange occurrence: the Devils scored two empty-net goals – first Jamie Langenbrunner, then Andy Greene – because Viktor Stalberg scored for Chicago in between.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 2
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)