Nov 3, 2010, 10:10 PM EDT
It seems like the bad news keeps coming for the befuddled New Jersey Devils.
If things weren’t awful enough with their league-worst start and recent news that Zach Parise will be out three months with a knee injury, things could get even worse as goalie Martin Brodeur reportedly left the team’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks early with what might be a right hand or wrist injury.
Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur has left the game vs. the #Blackhawks with an injury. Looked to be his right hand or wrist.
Obviously there is no word on the exact severity (or location) of Brodeur’s injury, but you may recall that he needed surgery on his other arm two years ago, a problem that sidelined him for months.
(Oddly enough, that injury happened in early November 2008. I guess this is just becoming a bad time of the year for Brodeur.)
Who knows if he’ll miss any time with the injury, but on the bright side, then-backup Scott Clemmensen burst onto the scene to help the Devils survive their franchise goalie’s absence in the 2008-09 season. At this point, New Jersey fans probably need every bit of optimism they can muster.
Small update: The X-ray Brodeur underwent turned out negative, according to the Associated Press. Here are a few details about the injury.
With New Jersey leading Chicago 2-0 at 5:27 of the second period, the stick of Chicago forward Troy Brouwer appeared to hit the area around Brodeur’s blocker after he made a save on Patrick Kane.
Brodeur removed the blocker, shook his arm and rotated his wrist as the trainer attended to him.
Play then resumed, but Brodeur skated off the ice 21 seconds later following a stoppage in play. He was replaced by Johan Hedberg.
More to come either tonight, tomorrow … or whenever the team provides more details.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)