Nov 3, 2010, 10:10 PM EST
It seems like the bad news keeps coming for the befuddled New Jersey Devils.
If things weren’t awful enough with their league-worst start and recent news that Zach Parise will be out three months with a knee injury, things could get even worse as goalie Martin Brodeur reportedly left the team’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks early with what might be a right hand or wrist injury.
Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur has left the game vs. the #Blackhawks with an injury. Looked to be his right hand or wrist.
Obviously there is no word on the exact severity (or location) of Brodeur’s injury, but you may recall that he needed surgery on his other arm two years ago, a problem that sidelined him for months.
(Oddly enough, that injury happened in early November 2008. I guess this is just becoming a bad time of the year for Brodeur.)
Who knows if he’ll miss any time with the injury, but on the bright side, then-backup Scott Clemmensen burst onto the scene to help the Devils survive their franchise goalie’s absence in the 2008-09 season. At this point, New Jersey fans probably need every bit of optimism they can muster.
Small update: The X-ray Brodeur underwent turned out negative, according to the Associated Press. Here are a few details about the injury.
With New Jersey leading Chicago 2-0 at 5:27 of the second period, the stick of Chicago forward Troy Brouwer appeared to hit the area around Brodeur’s blocker after he made a save on Patrick Kane.
Brodeur removed the blocker, shook his arm and rotated his wrist as the trainer attended to him.
Play then resumed, but Brodeur skated off the ice 21 seconds later following a stoppage in play. He was replaced by Johan Hedberg.
More to come either tonight, tomorrow … or whenever the team provides more details.
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 13
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 9
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 18
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 19
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 39
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8