Nov 3, 2010, 6:50 PM EDT
Carolina Hurricanes forward Jeff Skinner might be a rookie, but he’s making at an immediate impact on the team.
For one thing, the talented winger is leading the team in points at this moment in time. You’d think Eric Staal would be the club’s top point producer (three goals, four assists for seven points this season), but Skinner is No. 1 so far in 2010-11 with three goals and five assists for eight points.
As a reward for Skinner’s play – and with the goal of giving Staal a boost – Skinner will reportedly be moved up to the Canes’ top line. Chip Alexander of the News & Observer passed along the report.
Rookie Jeff Skinner has replaced Jussi Jokinen on Eric Staal’s line and will be the left winger opposite Chad LaRose tonight against the New York Islanders. The Canes coaches had been reluctant to use Skinner on the top line, wanting the 18-year-old — the youngest player in the NHL — to continue to build confidence and not have to face top defensive pairs.
“Obviously for myself I wasn’t creating enough offense the last couple of games,” Staal said today. “This is a little bit of a change. He’s an offensive guy with some great instincts. I look forward to it. …
“He’s a good kid. He’s got a smile on his face. He competes, he works. … That’s all you can ask for out of a young guy.”
So that will make the team’s top line Staal-Skinner-LaRose. Perhaps giving Staal a more dynamic lineup will help him out, give Skinner even more time on the ice and perhaps even assist Jokinen by allowing him to play against lesser competition.
As you may know, NHL teams shake up their lines as often as every night, so this is by no means a permanent thing. Still, if you need evidence that Skinner is making an impression on his new team, just point to this (and his hot start).
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)