Nov 3, 2010, 11:52 AM EST
During last night’s Maple Leafs loss to the Senators, Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf left the game with an injury in the second period and did not return. Reports after the game stated that Phaneuf left the arena on a stretcher and he ultimately had a deep cut that required stitches in his leg. Oddly enough, one of the first reports of the injury and how long he could be out of action for came from what could be described as an unconventional source: Phaneuf’s celebrity girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert on Twitter.
Worried hockey fans, Dion got a pretty bad deep cut on his leg. He’s getting it treated & fixed up, but he will need to miss a few games :(
…I suppose I should say will MOST LIKELY miss a few games. With that diehard, even I never know for sure.
Whether she’s a die-hard fan or she just stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, either way she’s not a doctor so take that for what it’s worth. Given that those tweets came from an account that’s not verified you could argue that it’s not even actually Elisha Cuthbert but that’s neither here nor there right now.
For Phaneuf, the injury stinks because he was looking to get his game back after being booed by home fans after struggling to start the year. Brett Lebda figures to fill in for Phaneuf if he’s to miss any time due to the injury, a scary prospect on its own. All that aside, if Elisha Cuthbert wants to be an NHL insider I think that’s something everyone not named Sean Avery could have fun with.
Update: Turns out Phaneuf will miss more than a few games. TSN’s Darren Dreger hears from Leafs GM Brian Burke that Phaneuf will be out for at least four weeks due to the deep cut on his leg. So much for the potential of having Elisha Cuthbert starring as a doctor.
Double Update: According to James Mirtle, the Leafs announced that Elisha Cuthbert does not have a Twitter account. For shame.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 7
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)