Nov 3, 2010, 11:52 AM EDT
During last night’s Maple Leafs loss to the Senators, Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf left the game with an injury in the second period and did not return. Reports after the game stated that Phaneuf left the arena on a stretcher and he ultimately had a deep cut that required stitches in his leg. Oddly enough, one of the first reports of the injury and how long he could be out of action for came from what could be described as an unconventional source: Phaneuf’s celebrity girlfriend Elisha Cuthbert on Twitter.
Worried hockey fans, Dion got a pretty bad deep cut on his leg. He’s getting it treated & fixed up, but he will need to miss a few games :(
…I suppose I should say will MOST LIKELY miss a few games. With that diehard, even I never know for sure.
Whether she’s a die-hard fan or she just stayed in a Holiday Inn Express, either way she’s not a doctor so take that for what it’s worth. Given that those tweets came from an account that’s not verified you could argue that it’s not even actually Elisha Cuthbert but that’s neither here nor there right now.
For Phaneuf, the injury stinks because he was looking to get his game back after being booed by home fans after struggling to start the year. Brett Lebda figures to fill in for Phaneuf if he’s to miss any time due to the injury, a scary prospect on its own. All that aside, if Elisha Cuthbert wants to be an NHL insider I think that’s something everyone not named Sean Avery could have fun with.
Update: Turns out Phaneuf will miss more than a few games. TSN’s Darren Dreger hears from Leafs GM Brian Burke that Phaneuf will be out for at least four weeks due to the deep cut on his leg. So much for the potential of having Elisha Cuthbert starring as a doctor.
Double Update: According to James Mirtle, the Leafs announced that Elisha Cuthbert does not have a Twitter account. For shame.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 67
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)