Nov 2, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
I can’t say that it’s a huge surprise that Ryan Miller is struggling to back up his amazing 2009-10 season and Olympic stretch. That being said, I expected a mild drop-off (maybe a dip like Tim Thomas experienced from his 2008-09 Vezina-winning year to his not-as-bad-as-it-seemed season in 09-10) but things have been way worse for Miller and the Buffalo Sabres than most people expected.
Much like the New Jersey Devils and Zach Parise, their best player’s injury will add injury to the insult that is their place in the league standings. Thankfully for Buffalo, though, it doesn’t sound like it’s anywhere near as big a problem as Parise’s knee.
Miller apparently is suffering from a lower body injury, something that might or might not exclude him from Wednesday’s game against the Boston Bruins.
Coach Lindy Ruff said Tuesday that Miller does not have a groin injury. Ruff won’t rule on Miller’s status until Wednesday morning, before the game with the Bruins.
Miller returned to practice on a limited basis after missing Monday’s workout. He was often stretching his legs during breaks.
Odd, that kind of behavior indicates a groin injury, but I’m no doctor.
There’s no doubt that Miller’s play declined from last season to this one. His 90.3 save percentage is his lowest he registered as a full-time starter (the second worst was the 90.6 percentage he put together in his first 40+ start campaign in 2005-06) while his 2.71 GAA is his highest since he put up a 2.71 mark in the 06-07 season.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 117
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (117)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)