Nov 2, 2010, 5:12 PM EDT
I can’t say that it’s a huge surprise that Ryan Miller is struggling to back up his amazing 2009-10 season and Olympic stretch. That being said, I expected a mild drop-off (maybe a dip like Tim Thomas experienced from his 2008-09 Vezina-winning year to his not-as-bad-as-it-seemed season in 09-10) but things have been way worse for Miller and the Buffalo Sabres than most people expected.
Much like the New Jersey Devils and Zach Parise, their best player’s injury will add injury to the insult that is their place in the league standings. Thankfully for Buffalo, though, it doesn’t sound like it’s anywhere near as big a problem as Parise’s knee.
Miller apparently is suffering from a lower body injury, something that might or might not exclude him from Wednesday’s game against the Boston Bruins.
Coach Lindy Ruff said Tuesday that Miller does not have a groin injury. Ruff won’t rule on Miller’s status until Wednesday morning, before the game with the Bruins.
Miller returned to practice on a limited basis after missing Monday’s workout. He was often stretching his legs during breaks.
Odd, that kind of behavior indicates a groin injury, but I’m no doctor.
There’s no doubt that Miller’s play declined from last season to this one. His 90.3 save percentage is his lowest he registered as a full-time starter (the second worst was the 90.6 percentage he put together in his first 40+ start campaign in 2005-06) while his 2.71 GAA is his highest since he put up a 2.71 mark in the 06-07 season.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 5
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)