Nov 2, 2010, 9:26 PM EDT
As if losing to the rival Ottawa Senators 3-0 after two periods wasn’t bad enough, embattled Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf is now out of the game after suffering a lower body injury. Phaneuf was tangled up in the corner with Sens forward Peter Regin when he fell awkwardly to the ice with his legs twisted up beneath him. Phaneuf was helped off the ice to the locker room and now according to John Shannon of Sportsnet, he’s off to the hospital to get checked out.
From boos to worse…Phaneuf leaves ACC on stretcher…left knee iced and heavily bandaged.
The boos that Shannon refers to are the ones coming from Leafs faithful in Toronto as the newly minted captain of the team was hearing their distaste for his play and the current state of the team. After a 4-0-0 start to the season, luck and goal scoring has run dry for the Leafs and they’ve lost five of their last six games and they’re 27th in the NHL in scoring. Phaneuf, meanwhile, has four assists this season and a team low plus/minus rating of -6 and Brian Burke is sick of hearing the fans riding Phaneuf for his play.
The natives in Toronto are restless and the 4-0-0 start may have proven to be almost an unfair tease given that the Leafs weren’t exactly projected to be all that successful. Getting the team’s offense jump started somehow would go a long way towards helping them out, but if Phaneuf is out for an extended amount of time, their defense might become more of a question mark.
Update: Jonas Siegel of AM 640 in Toronto tweets that Phaneuf left the game with a deep cut on his leg and was taken to the hospital for stitches.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 46
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 68
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)