Nov 1, 2010, 10:52 AM EST
With the NHL taking a day off yesterday it gave us all time to clear our heads and get acquainted with other sports for the day. Tonight, the league bounces back into action with all guns blazing with… Wait, three games? Jeez, getting out of the way of the World Series sure makes hockey fans get bored. Anyhow, here’s tonight’s light schedule and, as always, times listed are Eastern.
Chicago @ NY Rangers
Gotta love the Original Six games, especially when these two teams meet up so rarely. The Rangers are coming off of disposing another Original Sixer in Toronto on Saturday night while Chicago disposed of the Wild. The Rangers are hoping that they can find ways to crack through Chicago’s defense and Marty Turco. Turco’s been great so far this season for the Hawks but they’ll have a tall order themselves in dealing with Henrik Lundqvist. Chicago’s got the offensive edge in the game, but less so without Marian Hossa.
Carolina @ Philadelphia
If the Flyers weren’t winning games, the trials and tribulations of Nikolay Zherdev would likely be a bigger deal than they are now. Zherdev has just two goals this year and was a healthy scratch for their game against the Islanders on Saturday night. Having to deal with the spunky Hurricanes and possibly without Daniel Briere who awaits a potential suspension for cross checking Isles forward Frans Nielsen will provide a decent battle for Philly. The Flyers, however, won’t have to deal with Cam Ward as his backup Justin Peters will get the start in goal.
New Jersey @ Vancouver
Zach Parise won’t be playing in this one for New Jersey, meanwhile Keith Ballard may be making his return to the Canucks lineup in a game that features a battle between Team Canada goalies Martin Brodeur and Roberto Luongo. We’ve written more than enough about the problems the Devils have had to start the year, and while Vancouver is certainly doing better than they are, they’ve been a little bit off themselves going 4-3-2 to start the year. Of course, any issues the Canucks have had to start the year seem to be run of the mill kinds of things, meanwhile the Devils can’t seem to score at all. It makes for an intriguing match up to say the least.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 15
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 42
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)