Oct 31, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
If you thought that the rough start to the year for the New Jersey Devils couldn’t possibly get any worse, apparently you don’t believe in karma. During last night’s 3-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings, Parise ended up leaving the game early and did not play in the third period. Parise is listed as having the ever-descriptive “lower body injury.” Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger gives us the potentially grim story for Zach Parise.
Parise suffered what the team is calling a lower body injury midway through the game and did not accompany the Devils to Vancouver. Instead, he and general manager Lou Lamoriello flew back to New Jersey on a red eye flight or private jet.
Neither Parise nor Lamoriello were available for comment. However, the Devils are fearful that Parise may have suffered a serious right knee injury when he was hit by Kings winger Kyle Clifford with 3:40 left in the second period.
Without having any concrete news to run with other than this, you have to think this doesn’t sound good at all if Parise is being sent home with the GM. The Devils are already an offensively struggling team, not to mention an injury-addled one, and taking Parise out of the lineup would be a crushing blow. Parise is a 40-goal per season caliber player and taking that out of a relatively toothless lineup hurts. Badly.
If Parise’s injury is serious, the Devils are going to be in some serious trouble and having to fight off becoming a one-dimensional, one-line team with a suspect defense and aging, legendary goaltender. All of a sudden, that rough start to the season looks a lot more dire.
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 4
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 2
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 14
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 33
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 30
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (57)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)