Oct 31, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
If you thought that the rough start to the year for the New Jersey Devils couldn’t possibly get any worse, apparently you don’t believe in karma. During last night’s 3-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings, Parise ended up leaving the game early and did not play in the third period. Parise is listed as having the ever-descriptive “lower body injury.” Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger gives us the potentially grim story for Zach Parise.
Parise suffered what the team is calling a lower body injury midway through the game and did not accompany the Devils to Vancouver. Instead, he and general manager Lou Lamoriello flew back to New Jersey on a red eye flight or private jet.
Neither Parise nor Lamoriello were available for comment. However, the Devils are fearful that Parise may have suffered a serious right knee injury when he was hit by Kings winger Kyle Clifford with 3:40 left in the second period.
Without having any concrete news to run with other than this, you have to think this doesn’t sound good at all if Parise is being sent home with the GM. The Devils are already an offensively struggling team, not to mention an injury-addled one, and taking Parise out of the lineup would be a crushing blow. Parise is a 40-goal per season caliber player and taking that out of a relatively toothless lineup hurts. Badly.
If Parise’s injury is serious, the Devils are going to be in some serious trouble and having to fight off becoming a one-dimensional, one-line team with a suspect defense and aging, legendary goaltender. All of a sudden, that rough start to the season looks a lot more dire.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 5
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 34
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)