Oct 31, 2010, 8:30 AM EST
If you thought that the rough start to the year for the New Jersey Devils couldn’t possibly get any worse, apparently you don’t believe in karma. During last night’s 3-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings, Parise ended up leaving the game early and did not play in the third period. Parise is listed as having the ever-descriptive “lower body injury.” Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger gives us the potentially grim story for Zach Parise.
Parise suffered what the team is calling a lower body injury midway through the game and did not accompany the Devils to Vancouver. Instead, he and general manager Lou Lamoriello flew back to New Jersey on a red eye flight or private jet.
Neither Parise nor Lamoriello were available for comment. However, the Devils are fearful that Parise may have suffered a serious right knee injury when he was hit by Kings winger Kyle Clifford with 3:40 left in the second period.
Without having any concrete news to run with other than this, you have to think this doesn’t sound good at all if Parise is being sent home with the GM. The Devils are already an offensively struggling team, not to mention an injury-addled one, and taking Parise out of the lineup would be a crushing blow. Parise is a 40-goal per season caliber player and taking that out of a relatively toothless lineup hurts. Badly.
If Parise’s injury is serious, the Devils are going to be in some serious trouble and having to fight off becoming a one-dimensional, one-line team with a suspect defense and aging, legendary goaltender. All of a sudden, that rough start to the season looks a lot more dire.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)