Oct 31, 2010, 8:30 AM EDT
If you thought that the rough start to the year for the New Jersey Devils couldn’t possibly get any worse, apparently you don’t believe in karma. During last night’s 3-1 loss to the Los Angeles Kings, Parise ended up leaving the game early and did not play in the third period. Parise is listed as having the ever-descriptive “lower body injury.” Rich Chere of the Newark Star-Ledger gives us the potentially grim story for Zach Parise.
Parise suffered what the team is calling a lower body injury midway through the game and did not accompany the Devils to Vancouver. Instead, he and general manager Lou Lamoriello flew back to New Jersey on a red eye flight or private jet.
Neither Parise nor Lamoriello were available for comment. However, the Devils are fearful that Parise may have suffered a serious right knee injury when he was hit by Kings winger Kyle Clifford with 3:40 left in the second period.
Without having any concrete news to run with other than this, you have to think this doesn’t sound good at all if Parise is being sent home with the GM. The Devils are already an offensively struggling team, not to mention an injury-addled one, and taking Parise out of the lineup would be a crushing blow. Parise is a 40-goal per season caliber player and taking that out of a relatively toothless lineup hurts. Badly.
If Parise’s injury is serious, the Devils are going to be in some serious trouble and having to fight off becoming a one-dimensional, one-line team with a suspect defense and aging, legendary goaltender. All of a sudden, that rough start to the season looks a lot more dire.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 42
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)