Oct 31, 2010, 8:08 PM EDT
In case you weren’t following PHT in its first month, I introduced some new special teams stats because I’m not satisfied with the common percentage-based rankings for power plays and penalty kill units.
Earlier tonight, I provided the NHL’s best PP units based on Power Play Plus/Minus.
If you want a quick explanation for why I prefer totals over percentages for special teams stats, consider these facts.
1. Some teams take more penalties than others, so they might kill penalties more often but allow more PP goals overall. Shutting down a high percentage of man advantages is great and all, but if you’re on the kill too often then totals tend to matter more.
2. Penalty kill percentage doesn’t factor shorthanded goals scored, which is faulty because a dangerous PK’er such as Philadelphia Flyers center Mike Richards could be a real difference maker.
Penalty Kill Plus/Minus is a simple stat: simply subtract shorthanded goals scored by power-play goals allowed. Obviously, only a superhuman group could manage a plus rating in this situation, so you’re looking for the lowest minus rating as the best units.
Along with SHG earned, PPG allowed and PK plus/minus, I’ve also provided times shorthanded (TS), games played and the traditional PK percentage for context.
Now, some observations regarding these stats.
- Boston remains atop the rankings, although you have to wonder if those numbers are misleading since they’ve only played eight games.
- Washington is tied for the top spot despite allowing five PP goals already this year. That’s because they’ve been dangerous going the other way, scoring three SH goals already. Philadelphia is in a similar spot, allowing seven goals but putting up four on the PK.
- Vancouver might own the quirky stat of the moment: they haven’t allowed or scored a SHG so far this season.
- Buffalo and Colorado are really awful. That being said, Edmonton should worry as they’ve allowed 13 PP goals in only nine games.
So those are some interesting PK-related numbers. Later tonight I’ll put them all together for Special Teams Plus/Minus.
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 7
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 6
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 31
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 54
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 83
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut