Oct 31, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT
Last night’s Flyers-Islanders game in Philadelphia was especially festive with a host of game misconducts being handed out as well as fists thrown between Dan Carcillo and Zenon Konopka. With about a minute left to play in the game, however, things really boiled over between Islanders forward Frans Nielsen and Flyers forward Daniel Briere.
As the two set up for a face off in the Islanders zone, Nielsen had a few words to share with Briere. Once the puck was dropped, however, things got ugly fast as Briere cross checked Nielsen up high near his head. Dan Carcillo jumped in in case things turned into a fight, however Nielsen dropped to the ice. Isles goalie Rick DiPietro tried to intercept Briere but was quickly corralled by Chris Pronger. If my words weren’t thrilling enough for you, you can see video of everything that went down on YouTube here.
Word has come down thanks to TSN’s Darren Dreger that Briere will have a 10 am conference call with the league office on Monday to discuss what happened. The Philadelphia Flyers have confirmed the call will go down and you can expect that Briere will see some brand of punishment by the NHL for attempting to take Nielsen’s head off.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 1
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 20
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 30
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 30
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 68
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (68)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)