Oct 31, 2010, 2:06 PM EST
Last night’s Flyers-Islanders game in Philadelphia was especially festive with a host of game misconducts being handed out as well as fists thrown between Dan Carcillo and Zenon Konopka. With about a minute left to play in the game, however, things really boiled over between Islanders forward Frans Nielsen and Flyers forward Daniel Briere.
As the two set up for a face off in the Islanders zone, Nielsen had a few words to share with Briere. Once the puck was dropped, however, things got ugly fast as Briere cross checked Nielsen up high near his head. Dan Carcillo jumped in in case things turned into a fight, however Nielsen dropped to the ice. Isles goalie Rick DiPietro tried to intercept Briere but was quickly corralled by Chris Pronger. If my words weren’t thrilling enough for you, you can see video of everything that went down on YouTube here.
Word has come down thanks to TSN’s Darren Dreger that Briere will have a 10 am conference call with the league office on Monday to discuss what happened. The Philadelphia Flyers have confirmed the call will go down and you can expect that Briere will see some brand of punishment by the NHL for attempting to take Nielsen’s head off.
- Leafs scoring slump hits historical low 11
- Video: Rangers’ Lundqvist takes puck to the neck 3
- Zamboni driver arrested for DUI, allegedly cleaned ice surface while drunk 13
- Mike Richards trying to make the best of being sent to the AHL 9
- Price leads Habs past Caps with second straight shutout 8
- Report: Rob Blake would be Brendan Shanahan’s first choice to replace Dave Nonis 5
- Bettman would be ‘kicking and screaming’ before NHL jerseys have ads 27
- Comparing the records of all 30 teams in the last two months 61
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 8
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 4