Oct 31, 2010, 2:06 PM EDT
Last night’s Flyers-Islanders game in Philadelphia was especially festive with a host of game misconducts being handed out as well as fists thrown between Dan Carcillo and Zenon Konopka. With about a minute left to play in the game, however, things really boiled over between Islanders forward Frans Nielsen and Flyers forward Daniel Briere.
As the two set up for a face off in the Islanders zone, Nielsen had a few words to share with Briere. Once the puck was dropped, however, things got ugly fast as Briere cross checked Nielsen up high near his head. Dan Carcillo jumped in in case things turned into a fight, however Nielsen dropped to the ice. Isles goalie Rick DiPietro tried to intercept Briere but was quickly corralled by Chris Pronger. If my words weren’t thrilling enough for you, you can see video of everything that went down on YouTube here.
Word has come down thanks to TSN’s Darren Dreger that Briere will have a 10 am conference call with the league office on Monday to discuss what happened. The Philadelphia Flyers have confirmed the call will go down and you can expect that Briere will see some brand of punishment by the NHL for attempting to take Nielsen’s head off.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 4
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 6
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 7
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18