Oct 30, 2010, 2:45 PM EDT
Scott Niedermayer might not be the last New Jersey Devils defenseman to wear No. 27 – former Devil Mike Mottau oddly wore it after Niedermayer went to the Anaheim Ducks – but the team reportedly plans on retiring his number now that his playing days are over with the NHL.
The New Jersey Devils will reportedly raise former defenseman Scott Niedermayer’s No. 27 to the rafters of Prudential Center at some point this season.
Niedermayer, who won three Stanley Cups with the franchise and one more with the Anaheim Ducks before retiring this past offseason, was at the Honda Center on Friday night to watch the game between his two former teams. The Devils haven’t confirmed the news reported originally by the Newark Star-Ledger — it was a surprise to Niedermayer when he heard it — but some of his former Devils teammates were excited to hear it.
On some level, it’s a shame that Niedermayer isn’t sharing his smooth-skating prowess with us any more. Sure, he regressed a slight bit from the 2008-09 season to 09-10 (from 59 points to 48) and missed the playoffs last season.
That being said, the truth is that Niedermayer ended his career with his reputation intact; he was still one of the best defensemen in the NHL until the very end of his career. He’s an automatic Hall of Famer (a first ballot one, I would imagine) and was one of the pillars of three Stanley Cup winning Devils teams and one Cup winning Ducks squad.
It’s not official yet, but if those reports are true, then congratulations to Niedermayer. He deserves it.
- Big money: Tarasenko signs eight-year, $60 million extension with Blues 14
- Blackhawks extend TVR through 2017-18 1
- Good start: McDavid scores five in Oilers scrimmage 16
- Caps ink Kuznetsov to two-year, $6 million extension 9
- Bruins sign three — Hayes, Connolly, and DeFazio 12
- Babcock expects Kadri to be ‘an elite player’ 15
- No expansion bid expected from Kansas City 37
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 17
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 12
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 13