Oct 30, 2010, 10:50 PM EST
Former, and possibly returning, Flyers starting goalie Michael Leighton has missed the regular season to this point due to a back injury suffered during training camp. Leighton had surgery on his back and now he’s back skating on the ice preparing to return to action. For Leighton, getting back into game shape is a tricky matter as Tim Panaccio of CSNPhilly shares with us.
Leighton said he did “some little twirling” on the ice and not much more.
“The back feels good,” he said. “The main problem was the weakness in my foot and with time that will go away. That’s still there but the back felt great. I did some movements but not much.”
The target date for his return to full practice remains around Nov. 20.
“I’m aiming as soon as I can get back on the ice to get back playing,” he said.
The only question remaining for Leighton when he does get back into game shape and into the Flyers lineup, is will there be a job for him upon his return? Rookie Sergei Bobrovsky has been solid in goal and Leighton’s backup before he was injured, Brian Boucher, has done respectably well in Leighton’s absence.
If there’s a a guy who has to be nervous about Leighton’s return to action it’s Boucher. Bobrovsky has done well enough to steal the majority of the starts to this point (six starts to four for Boucher). The catch for Leighton will be how much playing time he’ll be able to get when he is healthy enough to play. It was set to be a split-starter set up in Philadelphia before Leighton went down, but with Bobrovsky in place and playing well, it would make coach Peter Laviolette’s life a bit easier to have two guys he can count on to play in goal.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)