Oct 30, 2010, 9:00 AM EDT
The New Jersey Devils haven’t been themselves this year, but for at least one night, they played like the Devils of old. They won a low-scoring, low-shot game over the Anaheim Ducks last night, in one of those contests that someone had to win.
This outcome basically brings the Ducks (now 4-6-1 for nine points in 11 games) a bit closer to the Devils (now 3-7-1 for seven points in 11 games) as one of the worst teams in the league, but there’s no doubt New Jersey really needed this one.
Martin Brodeur seemed like the Marty of old, down to the point of not really needing to stop many shots (27 out of 28) to beat Jonas Hiller (25 out of 27).
Adding even more familiarity to tonight’s festivities for New Jersey, Jamie Langebrunner and Patrik Elias scored the team’s two goals as the Devils were able to sit on a 2-1 lead after earning it about two minutes into the third period. Jason Blake started the night’s scoring (and managed the Ducks’ only goal of the night) on the powerplay.
The Devils have a long way to go, but at least for one night, he looked at the team that was one of the elite team from the mid ’90s to early ’00s.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 3
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 18
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)