Oct 30, 2010, 4:10 PM EDT
There’s a whopping 14 games today, so these previews will be a little shorter than usual. All start times are Eastern (ET).
Boston @ Ottawa
Check out this nugget: Tim Thomas is the first Bruins goalie to go 5-0 since Tiny Thompson did it in the 1937-38 season. Gotta love those old nicknames, right?
NY Islanders @ Philadelphia
The Islanders are turning some corners this season, but how about this one: if they beat the Flyers tonight, they’ll end a 10 game losing streak in Philly.
Nashville @ Detroit
This is a big one; the Predators are barely in the Central Division lead (5-1-3 in nine games) ahead of a highly competitive bunch of teams in the division including the Red Wings (5-2-1 in eight games).
NY Rangers @ Toronto
Both teams have been on hot streaks this season, but now they’re right about where they should be: in hockey purgatory.
Florida @ Montreal
The Canadiens are the top team in the NHL right now, which is surprising; the Panthers are in the cellar already, which is far from surprising. Naturally, Florida will probably do the NHL thing and surprise us by winning, then.
Pittsburgh @ Carolina
The Penguins are hoping to halt a three-game losing streak, but the best news is that they likely won’t start Marc-Andre Fleury (1-5) since it’s a back to back and they won’t play at their new home in the Consol Energy Center (2-4) since they’re about to begin a road trip.
Atlanta @ St. Louis
Two of the league’s most improved teams appear in this one, with Ondrej Pavelec getting his first start since that scary collapse.
Buffalo @ Dallas
Two of the league’s worst defensive units play in front of two workhorse goalies (if Kari Lehtonen and Ryan Miller start) in one of those “something has to give” games.
Chicago @ Minnesota
The Blackhawks are struggling right now, but they’ve been strong in Minnesota lately (3-0-1 in their last four games).
Tampa Bay @ Phoenix
It’s a clash of non-traditional markets and disparate styles in this one, as the high-powered Lightning take on the defense-first Coyotes.
Columbus @ Colorado
The Blue Jackets will try to start the season 4-0 on the road for the first time in franchise history while the Avalanche open a four game homestand. Should be an interesting one.
Washington @ Calgary
Both teams have identical records: 6-4-0 in 10 games for 12 points. The Flames are on fire while the Capitals are struggling, making this one intriguing.
New Jersey @ Los Angeles
Ilya Kovalchuk travels to Los Angeles for the first time since he decided to stick with the Devils instead of the Kings. As Rudy Kelly points out, though, it’s hard to argue with the $22 million extra he’ll make to stay in Newark … but will that stop him from being booed?
Anaheim @ San Jose
It’s a good old Battle of California, as the struggling Sharks (4-3-1) host the near-awful Ducks (4-6-1).
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 28
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)