Oct 30, 2010, 3:24 PM EDT
Some might say that the team is better off without him, at least if they just look at wins and losses. They made the playoffs with him playing hurt or missing games completely, then beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round of the playoffs after Matt Cooke sidelined him with a vicious but clean check.
Now they’re leading the NHL with 15 standings points despite the fact that he hasn’t played a game in the 2010-11 season.
NHL.com reports that Markov will return from knee problems tonight against the Florida Panthers tonight. This is great news for the Canadiens, a team that is getting by on great defense more than anything else right now.
The team with the League’s best record will welcome back No. 1 defenseman Andrei Markov, out since the first game of the season round of last season’s playoffs, and he will be paired with rookie sensation P.K. Subban on the Habs blue line when they face the Florida Panthers.
Subban and Markov have been in the same lineup only three times: Games 6 and 7 of the first round against Washington and Game 1 of the second round against Pittsburgh before Markov got injured in last spring’s playoffs.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 21
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)