Oct 30, 2010, 3:24 PM EDT
Some might say that the team is better off without him, at least if they just look at wins and losses. They made the playoffs with him playing hurt or missing games completely, then beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round of the playoffs after Matt Cooke sidelined him with a vicious but clean check.
Now they’re leading the NHL with 15 standings points despite the fact that he hasn’t played a game in the 2010-11 season.
NHL.com reports that Markov will return from knee problems tonight against the Florida Panthers tonight. This is great news for the Canadiens, a team that is getting by on great defense more than anything else right now.
The team with the League’s best record will welcome back No. 1 defenseman Andrei Markov, out since the first game of the season round of last season’s playoffs, and he will be paired with rookie sensation P.K. Subban on the Habs blue line when they face the Florida Panthers.
Subban and Markov have been in the same lineup only three times: Games 6 and 7 of the first round against Washington and Game 1 of the second round against Pittsburgh before Markov got injured in last spring’s playoffs.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)