Oct 30, 2010, 3:24 PM EDT
Some might say that the team is better off without him, at least if they just look at wins and losses. They made the playoffs with him playing hurt or missing games completely, then beat the Pittsburgh Penguins in the second round of the playoffs after Matt Cooke sidelined him with a vicious but clean check.
Now they’re leading the NHL with 15 standings points despite the fact that he hasn’t played a game in the 2010-11 season.
NHL.com reports that Markov will return from knee problems tonight against the Florida Panthers tonight. This is great news for the Canadiens, a team that is getting by on great defense more than anything else right now.
The team with the League’s best record will welcome back No. 1 defenseman Andrei Markov, out since the first game of the season round of last season’s playoffs, and he will be paired with rookie sensation P.K. Subban on the Habs blue line when they face the Florida Panthers.
Subban and Markov have been in the same lineup only three times: Games 6 and 7 of the first round against Washington and Game 1 of the second round against Pittsburgh before Markov got injured in last spring’s playoffs.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)