Oct 29, 2010, 6:18 PM EST
Today it was a good day to be Flames defenseman Mark Giordano. Today, Flames GM Darryl Sutter signed the 27 year-old potential unrestricted free agent to a five-year extension with the Calgary Flames worth, according to CapGeek, $20.1 million. For Giordano, it’s a huge commitment from the Flames and after his breakout season last year, you could look at it as the Flames striking while the iron was hot on a player who appears primed to be one of the better defensemen in the NHL both offensively and defensively.
Last season, Giordano was tops amongst Flames defensemen with 11 goals and 19 assists and stood out on the blueline amongst established stars Jay Bouwmeester and Robyn Regehr. Two seasons ago, Giordano showed glimpses of his ability in 58 games with two goals and 17 assists. With that sort of upward trend, it makes sense that the Flames would look to lock him down now. The cost of keeping him in Calgary will be worth debating since while Giordano’s skill set is getting to be well known now, the Flames are banking on him continuing to improve and show his worth and become a #2 defenseman.
If these sorts of stresses were being put on a kid who was 21 or 22 years-old there’d be reason to worry, but with Giordano being 27, that changes the outlook there as you’re more able to figure out what Giordano brings to the table. If he’s going to continue being a 30 point per season defenseman with ability to hold his own defensively, the Flames will do just fine there for the next five or six seasons.
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 0
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 7
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 1
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 24
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11