Oct 29, 2010, 6:18 PM EDT
Today it was a good day to be Flames defenseman Mark Giordano. Today, Flames GM Darryl Sutter signed the 27 year-old potential unrestricted free agent to a five-year extension with the Calgary Flames worth, according to CapGeek, $20.1 million. For Giordano, it’s a huge commitment from the Flames and after his breakout season last year, you could look at it as the Flames striking while the iron was hot on a player who appears primed to be one of the better defensemen in the NHL both offensively and defensively.
Last season, Giordano was tops amongst Flames defensemen with 11 goals and 19 assists and stood out on the blueline amongst established stars Jay Bouwmeester and Robyn Regehr. Two seasons ago, Giordano showed glimpses of his ability in 58 games with two goals and 17 assists. With that sort of upward trend, it makes sense that the Flames would look to lock him down now. The cost of keeping him in Calgary will be worth debating since while Giordano’s skill set is getting to be well known now, the Flames are banking on him continuing to improve and show his worth and become a #2 defenseman.
If these sorts of stresses were being put on a kid who was 21 or 22 years-old there’d be reason to worry, but with Giordano being 27, that changes the outlook there as you’re more able to figure out what Giordano brings to the table. If he’s going to continue being a 30 point per season defenseman with ability to hold his own defensively, the Flames will do just fine there for the next five or six seasons.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)