Oct 29, 2010, 2:21 PM EST
Injured Bruins star Marc Savard continues to show improvement in recovering from post-concussion syndrome. He’s been informally skating of late and Bruins GM Peter Chiarelli updated everyone on Savard’s progress and things are looking up according to Kevin Paul Dupont of the Boston Globe.
”Savvy had a real good skate–a lot harder than anything so far,” said an upbeat Chiarelli. ”He was moving. He is starting to ramp it up.”
With Savard eventually returning to the Bruins lineup, salary cap worries will be the next thing on Chiarelli’s plate, and he says that should it come down to it, stashing a high-salaried player in the AHL will be an option open to them.
”If we have to warehouse someone in the minors, we’ll do that,” said Chiarelli. ”I don’t want to do it, but I will do it, if it becomes necessary.”
It’s just the way the NHL works in the salary cap world, but I know that if I was either Michael Ryder or even Blake Wheeler, I’d start wondering if I’ll be playing in Boston by the time December rolls around when it seems that Savard and Marco Sturm will be ready to come back to the Bruins lineup. While the B’s could still trade guys away to free up space, the chances of dealing off a guy like Ryder with a $4 million cap hit seems unlikely.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 130
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 97
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 115
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (130)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (127)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (115)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (97)