Oct 29, 2010, 12:40 PM EST
Veteran winger Bill Guerin has carved out a pretty nice career for himself in the NHL. He’s played for multiple Stanley Cup winners, he’s been a prolific goal scorer, and for the most part he’s been a pretty well liked player in his career. The latter part of his career saw him get a resurgence playing alongside Sidney Crosby but his role has been as a support player. If there’s a team out there in need of an almost 40 year-old support winger that could punch home around 20 goals in a season, they haven’t stepped up to make a move for Guerin, something that has him considering retirement according to James Murphy of ESPN Boston.
“I haven’t made any decisions yet and we’re still seeing what happens here,” Guerin told ESPNBoston.com. “I’m not there yet where I can say this is it.”
Guerin, who turns 40 on Nov. 9, wouldn’t say if the Bruins were interested but a source said Boston was not currently in the mix. But in the event Guerin fails to sign, he is starting to explore job options should he decide to hang up his skates.
Guerin can still add something for a team in need, you just need to make sure he can find a place on a line where he won’t be an anchor, speed-wise, or can be a hired gun on the power play. With the way the pace and speed of the NHL has picked up over the last few years, a guy who would otherwise be a consistent producer like Guerin now finds himself desperate for a job and without a home and could be forced to hang it up because of that.
It’s possible that we could see Guerin used in a half-season sort of way this year, being brought in to a team to give them a short-term boost and to maximize the older Guerin’s abilities while not tiring him out with the rigors of a full regular season. A team looking for a savvy boost to make a run later in the year could very well be looking at Guerin in that sort of role as a deadline acquisition without having to give anyone up.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)