Oct 29, 2010, 12:40 PM EDT
Veteran winger Bill Guerin has carved out a pretty nice career for himself in the NHL. He’s played for multiple Stanley Cup winners, he’s been a prolific goal scorer, and for the most part he’s been a pretty well liked player in his career. The latter part of his career saw him get a resurgence playing alongside Sidney Crosby but his role has been as a support player. If there’s a team out there in need of an almost 40 year-old support winger that could punch home around 20 goals in a season, they haven’t stepped up to make a move for Guerin, something that has him considering retirement according to James Murphy of ESPN Boston.
“I haven’t made any decisions yet and we’re still seeing what happens here,” Guerin told ESPNBoston.com. “I’m not there yet where I can say this is it.”
Guerin, who turns 40 on Nov. 9, wouldn’t say if the Bruins were interested but a source said Boston was not currently in the mix. But in the event Guerin fails to sign, he is starting to explore job options should he decide to hang up his skates.
Guerin can still add something for a team in need, you just need to make sure he can find a place on a line where he won’t be an anchor, speed-wise, or can be a hired gun on the power play. With the way the pace and speed of the NHL has picked up over the last few years, a guy who would otherwise be a consistent producer like Guerin now finds himself desperate for a job and without a home and could be forced to hang it up because of that.
It’s possible that we could see Guerin used in a half-season sort of way this year, being brought in to a team to give them a short-term boost and to maximize the older Guerin’s abilities while not tiring him out with the rigors of a full regular season. A team looking for a savvy boost to make a run later in the year could very well be looking at Guerin in that sort of role as a deadline acquisition without having to give anyone up.
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 7
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 2
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 16
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 47
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 19
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 9
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 60
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (47)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)