Oct 28, 2010, 1:45 PM EDT
Considering the fact that the two biggest potential 2011 free agents (Joe Thornton and Zdeno Chara) already signed lucrative extensions, the list narrows down to Brad Richards and mercurial forwards such as Alexander Semin. One of those mercurial forwards is Philadelphia Flyers sniper Jeff Carter, a player who can take over a game with his goal scoring ability but also has the tendency to regress a bit in big games.
Carter will see his three-year, $15 million deal expire after this season, but Flyers GM Paul Holmgren might attempt to ink the center to a deal before he hits free agency.
CSN Philly’s Tim Panaccio reports that while the two sides have a way to go before striking a deal, the two sides made some progress recently.
“You know me, I don’t say much, but I will acknowledge that I’ve had some conversations with Paul and we’re making progress,” agent Rick Curran told CSNPhilly.com on Wednesday.
“For the moment, that’s probably all I’m going to say. I don’t like to discuss negotiations.”
The Flyers will have some questions to answer this coming summer. Along with signing Carter, they’ll need to re-sign gifted forward Claude Giroux and useful import Ville Leino.
Holmgren said that Carter won’t receive the kind of “lifetime” deal the team handed team captain Mike Richards. That’s not really surprising since Carter lacks the kind of two-way game, consistency and leadership capabilities that make Richards one of the league’s best forwards.
Carter is still a talented player with a rare instinct to shoot hard and often, so don’t be surprised if he signs another deal with the Flyers. If not, he might be one of the most sought-after restricted free agents next summer.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 10
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 8
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 33
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)