Oct 27, 2010, 1:04 AM EDT
It’s not officially time to panic yet for Colorado Avalanche fans, but it might just be time to get a little scared.
As you can see from the video at the bottom of this post, goalie Craig Anderson hurt himself during the team’s warmup drills before tonight’s game against the Vancouver Canucks. (We’ll have more on that game Wednesday morning, a 4-3 overtime win for Vancouver.) There aren’t any concrete details about how serious the injury was – and I’m not certain what type of injury Anderson actually suffered – but here are a few details from the Associated Press.
Backup goalie Peter Budaj started the game at Vancouver as scheduled, but Anderson wasn’t on the Avalanche bench when the game began.
A team official said after the second period that Anderson would fly back to Denver on Wednesday to be evaluated by doctors instead of going with the club to Calgary for a game on Thursday.
Anderson was a huge part of the Avalanche’s unexpected run to the playoffs last season and clearly was expected to carry the load this season, appearing in seven out of nine game so far this season. If he misses a significant amount of time, it would be a huge blow to Colorado’s hopes in 2010-11.
We’ll keep you updated as more information becomes available.
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 1
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 21
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 4
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)