Oct 27, 2010, 2:27 PM EDT
At first I was surprised to hear this news, but it could be that I was fooled by local announcers Daryl “Razor” Reaugh and Ralph Strangis into thinking it was a bit more of an “incidental” hit.
But now it all makes sense: Stephane Robidas received a one-game suspension today because the league automatically does so in these situations. I can’t find video at the moment (feel free to link it if you find it in the comments) for the hit, but it certainly was a scary fall for Matt Beleskey. Going off my memory – and, again, the persuasive powers of somewhat biased home team announcers – it didn’t seem like a malicious hit by Robidas.
In addition, they lost defenseman Stephane Robidas to an automatic one-game suspension for his second boarding major in the last 41 games. Robidas took the penalty on Matt Beleskey in the third period and received a game misconduct. Because he also had a boarding major March 16 against San Jose, Robidas will have to sit out Thursday’s game against the Los Angeles Kings.
The Stars could call up Philip Larsen from the Texas Stars to take Robidas’ place.
“I didn’t want to hurt him at all, and I hope he’s not hurt,” Robidas said. “It was just an unfortunate play.”
Beleskey left the ice with help, but he will receive further testing for a possible concussion.
It’s an automatic suspension, though, so the only real debate is whether or not Robidas deserved more than a one-game suspension. Hopefully Beleskey will bounce back from the hit and be concussion-free. It seems like that’s rarely been the case lately, unfortunately.
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 13
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 10
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)