Oct 27, 2010, 4:32 PM EDT
Tough news for the St. Louis Blues: Roman Polak will need to undergo surgery on his surgery tomorrow thanks to an injury he suffered in the team’s 1-0 with against the Pittsburgh Penguins. Here is the announcement from a Blues’ press release.
St. Louis Blues Executive Vice President and General Manager, Doug Armstrong announced today that defenseman Roman Polak will undergo surgery to repair a severed tendon in his right wrist on Thursday, Oct. 28. The surgery will be performed by Orthopedic Hand Specialist Dr. Martin Boyer of Barnes-Jewish Hospital. Polak suffered the injury in the Blues’ 1-0 overtime win against Pittsburgh on Saturday, Oct. 23 and will be sidelined indefinitely.
Polak’s impact cannot be measured in offensive numbers. He only had one goal in seven games played this season, but it was a game winner. The most important number is his time on ice per game: a bit more than 19, much like his 2009-10 season average.
B.J. Rains of Fox Sports Midwest reports that Tyson Strachan will act as the Blues’ sixth defenseman, an opportunity the young blueliner relishes.
The Blues have one of the top defensive units in the Western Conference, making it hard for Strachan to crack the six-man lineup. But his omission is not for a lack of skill, just a lack of spots, as Strachan would likely see more playing time on other teams in the league.
But with Polak out, Strachan will have a chance to show Blues coach Davis Payne what he can do. Instead of calling up a defenseman from Peoria, the Blues will instead insert Strachan into a defensive pairing with Carlo Colaiacovo.
His impact is usually pretty subtle, but losing Polak could be really tough on St. Louis. Then again, injuries can open up chances for worthy players, so Strachan has a golden opportunity to succeed in Polak’s absence.
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 9
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 6
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 6
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 28
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 54
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)