Oct 27, 2010, 12:02 AM EDT
Note: We’ll get you up to speed on the late Colorado-Vancouver game tomorrow morning or afternoon.
Colton Orr normally does damage with his hands, but tonight, he scored a game-winner for the Maple Leafs. This was a pretty bland night overall on paper, with J.S. Giguere cruising to his fourth win of the season by making only 21 saves. Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak also scored for Toronto while defenseman Dennis Wideman scored Florida’s only goal on the power play.
Don’t expect Ilya Bryzgalov to get much rest for the near future after this game. Backup Jason LaBarbera allowed three goals in one period of duty, including an Ottawa Senators record two goals in nine seconds to Erik Karlsson and Alex Kovalev. Kovalev earned two goals and one assists, helping Sergei Gonchar earn a win in his 1,000th career NHL game.
I already discussed some of Ryan Miller’s struggles (and the problems faced by his team in general), so let’s focus on Philadelphia’s side of the story. The Flyers responded after losing four of their last five games by throwing 33 shots on Buffalo’s net and scored three times on the man advantage. Jeff Carter lead the way with one goal and two assists.
Jonas Hiller made the difference in this one, holding the Stars to one goal on 30 shots through the game’s first two periods. The second frame was what killed the Stars, as the Ducks scored three in the middle period to take a convincing 3-1 lead. Bobby Ryan scored twice, both Corey Perry and Teemu Selanne provided a goal and assist each and Anaheim’s talent was just too much for Dallas to deal with.
The Brendan Morrison experiment is working out pretty well right now for the Flames. He’s had points in six of nine games in Calgary so far, including two games in tonight’s Battle of Alberta victory. After being out-shot 25-14 through the first two periods, the Oilers put up 17 shots in the second to bring a 4-2 game to a 4-4 tie. Alex Tanguay scored the only shootout goal to win it for the Flames.
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 12
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 13
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 52
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (54)
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Boychuk doesn’t want to be traded, but has no control over the matter (39)