Oct 27, 2010, 12:02 AM EST
Note: We’ll get you up to speed on the late Colorado-Vancouver game tomorrow morning or afternoon.
Colton Orr normally does damage with his hands, but tonight, he scored a game-winner for the Maple Leafs. This was a pretty bland night overall on paper, with J.S. Giguere cruising to his fourth win of the season by making only 21 saves. Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak also scored for Toronto while defenseman Dennis Wideman scored Florida’s only goal on the power play.
Don’t expect Ilya Bryzgalov to get much rest for the near future after this game. Backup Jason LaBarbera allowed three goals in one period of duty, including an Ottawa Senators record two goals in nine seconds to Erik Karlsson and Alex Kovalev. Kovalev earned two goals and one assists, helping Sergei Gonchar earn a win in his 1,000th career NHL game.
I already discussed some of Ryan Miller’s struggles (and the problems faced by his team in general), so let’s focus on Philadelphia’s side of the story. The Flyers responded after losing four of their last five games by throwing 33 shots on Buffalo’s net and scored three times on the man advantage. Jeff Carter lead the way with one goal and two assists.
Jonas Hiller made the difference in this one, holding the Stars to one goal on 30 shots through the game’s first two periods. The second frame was what killed the Stars, as the Ducks scored three in the middle period to take a convincing 3-1 lead. Bobby Ryan scored twice, both Corey Perry and Teemu Selanne provided a goal and assist each and Anaheim’s talent was just too much for Dallas to deal with.
The Brendan Morrison experiment is working out pretty well right now for the Flames. He’s had points in six of nine games in Calgary so far, including two games in tonight’s Battle of Alberta victory. After being out-shot 25-14 through the first two periods, the Oilers put up 17 shots in the second to bring a 4-2 game to a 4-4 tie. Alex Tanguay scored the only shootout goal to win it for the Flames.
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 5
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 3
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 46
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 18
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (72)