Oct 27, 2010, 12:02 AM EDT
Note: We’ll get you up to speed on the late Colorado-Vancouver game tomorrow morning or afternoon.
Colton Orr normally does damage with his hands, but tonight, he scored a game-winner for the Maple Leafs. This was a pretty bland night overall on paper, with J.S. Giguere cruising to his fourth win of the season by making only 21 saves. Phil Kessel and Tyler Bozak also scored for Toronto while defenseman Dennis Wideman scored Florida’s only goal on the power play.
Don’t expect Ilya Bryzgalov to get much rest for the near future after this game. Backup Jason LaBarbera allowed three goals in one period of duty, including an Ottawa Senators record two goals in nine seconds to Erik Karlsson and Alex Kovalev. Kovalev earned two goals and one assists, helping Sergei Gonchar earn a win in his 1,000th career NHL game.
I already discussed some of Ryan Miller’s struggles (and the problems faced by his team in general), so let’s focus on Philadelphia’s side of the story. The Flyers responded after losing four of their last five games by throwing 33 shots on Buffalo’s net and scored three times on the man advantage. Jeff Carter lead the way with one goal and two assists.
Jonas Hiller made the difference in this one, holding the Stars to one goal on 30 shots through the game’s first two periods. The second frame was what killed the Stars, as the Ducks scored three in the middle period to take a convincing 3-1 lead. Bobby Ryan scored twice, both Corey Perry and Teemu Selanne provided a goal and assist each and Anaheim’s talent was just too much for Dallas to deal with.
The Brendan Morrison experiment is working out pretty well right now for the Flames. He’s had points in six of nine games in Calgary so far, including two games in tonight’s Battle of Alberta victory. After being out-shot 25-14 through the first two periods, the Oilers put up 17 shots in the second to bring a 4-2 game to a 4-4 tie. Alex Tanguay scored the only shootout goal to win it for the Flames.
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 7
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 17
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 52
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- PFT: Jim Harbaugh to drive Indy 500 pace car
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner