Oct 27, 2010, 3:13 PM EDT
It almost seems like Jonathan Toews and Sidney Crosby are in some kind of cosmic game of “H-O-R-S-E.”
Crosby became the youngest captain to ever win a Stanley Cup, then Toews became the second youngest. They both won a gold medal together for Team Canada, with Crosby scoring the gold medal winning goal while Toews was named one of the tournament’s most outstanding forwards. He also topped Crosby in playoff-related follicle growth, as Toews’ formidable sideburns easily bested Crosby’s peach fuzz facial hair.
It looks like Toews followed in one of Crosby’s marketing footsteps, too, as Men’s Health magazine spotlighted the “speed machine” and his workout techniques in its November issue. Toews was featured along with three other professional athletes: Francisco 49ers’ linebacker Patrick Willis*, UFC fighter Josh Koscheck and Ironman world champion Craig Alexander.
Toews provided Men’s Health with this illuminating quote about his training regimen.
“My training won’t necessarily make me look more muscular,” he says, “but it means I can control my body better than anyone else on the ice. In the end that’s what matters.”
I don’t know, Toews, there are some NHL commercials in which Crosby is catching a medicine ball while keeping his balance on what looks like a skateboard. That sure looks a lot like the kind of workout Toews was working on here:
(click to enlarge, both images via Men’s Health.)
Perhaps the photos of a ripped Toews will help to erase some of the comic damage of those hilarious shots of bare chested Patrick Kane and John Madden carrying on with some Vancouver women in a limo. After all, when you’re fitness level is strong enough to get you featured alongside an NFL linebacker, UFC fighter and Ironman competitor you must be doing something right.
Maybe enough so that even Crosby might be getting a little jealous.
* – Is it me, or does Willis vaguely resemble Cincinnati Bengals wide receiver Terrell Owens?
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)