Oct 26, 2010, 9:56 PM EDT
We already passed along word that Atlanta Thrashers goalie Ondrej Pavelec was activated from the injured reserve yesterday, yet it seems like the good news keeps trickling in. He might not be 100 percent ready at this moment, but it sounds like Pavelec could be back as soon as the end of this week.
The team announced that they reassigned him to the AHL’s Chicago Wolves for a conditioning stint that will give him the opportunity to assess his health and readiness.
While it’s far from a guarantee, Thrashers coach Craig Ramsay guessed that Pavelec might play during Saturday’s game against the St. Louis Blues, according to Chris Vivlamore of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution.
Pavelec said he felt fine following Monday’s practice, the first full workout he’s had since being cleared from concussion symptoms. He said he still needs another practice or two to get fully used to the speed of the game again.
The Thrashers have three games this week – Wednesday at the Rangers, Friday versus the Sabres and Saturday at the Blues. Coach Craig Ramsay said it looks like Pavelec’s return could come against the Blues.
So, again, it’s not set stone but it would be great to see Pavelec suit up again. He’s already come a long way since that scary opening night collapse, but perhaps in a few months this will all be far behind him.
We’ll keep you up to date on any news about his next start, whether it happens on Saturday or a little further down the road.
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)