Oct 26, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT
You’d have to think that getting your nose broken would be a pretty standard injury in the NHL. Pucks are flying around, sticks get lifted, punches get thrown. These are all perils for your nose on the ice. It still hurts just the same, however, and for Anaheim Ducks forward Dan Sexton, a shot from Detroit’s Ruslan Salei is the reason he’ll be out of action for two weeks.
According to coach Randy Carlyle, multiple small fractures were found in the nasal area after Sexton visited a specialist on Monday afternoon upon returning home. Sexton should be cleared after the two-week timetable but could need an additional few days to get back into game shape.
“His nose is pretty mushed,” Carlyle said. “Not just a simple break. Two weeks probably until he starts physical activity. That’s a long enough period of time for sure.”
Sexton is a depth forward for the Ducks but he’s a guy that’s managed to work his way into the lineup and do his job for them despite not winning a job out of training camp. Let’s just hope that Randy Carlyle doesn’t also use this in his diatribe against playing games in Detroit. After all, I don’t think hockey pucks are made there.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)