Oct 26, 2010, 4:06 PM EDT
You’d have to think that getting your nose broken would be a pretty standard injury in the NHL. Pucks are flying around, sticks get lifted, punches get thrown. These are all perils for your nose on the ice. It still hurts just the same, however, and for Anaheim Ducks forward Dan Sexton, a shot from Detroit’s Ruslan Salei is the reason he’ll be out of action for two weeks.
According to coach Randy Carlyle, multiple small fractures were found in the nasal area after Sexton visited a specialist on Monday afternoon upon returning home. Sexton should be cleared after the two-week timetable but could need an additional few days to get back into game shape.
“His nose is pretty mushed,” Carlyle said. “Not just a simple break. Two weeks probably until he starts physical activity. That’s a long enough period of time for sure.”
Sexton is a depth forward for the Ducks but he’s a guy that’s managed to work his way into the lineup and do his job for them despite not winning a job out of training camp. Let’s just hope that Randy Carlyle doesn’t also use this in his diatribe against playing games in Detroit. After all, I don’t think hockey pucks are made there.
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 4
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 9
- Bergeron, Kopitar and Toews named Selke finalists 20
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight (Update: Game-time decision) 36
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 33
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 88
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 103
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)