Oct 25, 2010, 6:06 PM EST
The Los Angeles Kings were hoping that Drew Doughty would recover enough from concussion problems to return to the ice for Wednesday’s game against the Chicago Blackhawks, but that’s not going to happen.
In fact, the team apparently placed Doughty on the injured reserve, according to the Los Angeles Times.
While that means the all-world defenseman will miss that Wednesday game in Chicago, the team might be able to play him on Thursday against the Dallas Stars. Helene Elliott explains exactly how the Kings managed to put him on the IR yet could still dress him against the Stars.
The Kings announced late Monday that they had put Doughty on injured reserve retroactive to last Thursday and have recalled defenseman Jake Muzzin from Manchester of the American Hockey League. Muzzin began the season with the Kings but was sent to Manchester on Saturday when Matt Greene returned from shoulder surgery.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Doughty missed the game in Dallas and beyond, as concussion problems aren’t something you really want to mess with. Especially with a young player who means so much to a franchise attempting to transition from up-and-comer to full-blown contenders.
Then again, Doughty’s absolutely the most important player for the Kings, although Anze Kopitar is strongly in second. The more time Doughty misses, the more perilous the position for Los Angeles.
It’s a difficult tight rope to walk, but the Kings need to consider Doughty’s long term health more than the team’s short term needs in the standings. Naturally, we’ll keep you up to date as this story goes along. We should know whether or not he can play by Thursday or this weekend in the next couple days.
(H/T to The Royal Half.)
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)