Oct 25, 2010, 2:07 PM EST
While he remains a member of the Ottawa Senators – at least for the time being – it’s been an awfully tough haul for Jason Spezza ever since he was booed off the ice once the team lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the playoffs.
He dealt with trade rumors during the summer and now a groin injury hampers him on the ice. The slick playmaking center will probably miss his third consecutive game Tuesday against the Phoenix Coyotes because of a groin injury that’s been a problem since training camp, according to TSN.
The 27-year old Spezza did not take the ice at Senators’ practice Monday after missing the past two games with a groin injury. Head coach Cory Clouston told reporters following practice that his top playmaker is doubtful for Tuesday’s game with the Phoenix Coyotes, however he hopes to have him back in the lineup for Thursday’s encounter with the Florida Panthers.
Spezza’s sometimes-indifferent play in his own end (and occasional tendency to turn the puck over too easily) draws the ire of many Senators fans, but it’s clear that he isn’t the only problem in Ottawa. You almost have to wonder if it’s only a matter of time until the team trades the talented passer, though.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 11
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)