Oct 25, 2010, 2:07 PM EDT
While he remains a member of the Ottawa Senators – at least for the time being – it’s been an awfully tough haul for Jason Spezza ever since he was booed off the ice once the team lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the playoffs.
He dealt with trade rumors during the summer and now a groin injury hampers him on the ice. The slick playmaking center will probably miss his third consecutive game Tuesday against the Phoenix Coyotes because of a groin injury that’s been a problem since training camp, according to TSN.
The 27-year old Spezza did not take the ice at Senators’ practice Monday after missing the past two games with a groin injury. Head coach Cory Clouston told reporters following practice that his top playmaker is doubtful for Tuesday’s game with the Phoenix Coyotes, however he hopes to have him back in the lineup for Thursday’s encounter with the Florida Panthers.
Spezza’s sometimes-indifferent play in his own end (and occasional tendency to turn the puck over too easily) draws the ire of many Senators fans, but it’s clear that he isn’t the only problem in Ottawa. You almost have to wonder if it’s only a matter of time until the team trades the talented passer, though.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)