Oct 25, 2010, 2:07 PM EST
While he remains a member of the Ottawa Senators – at least for the time being – it’s been an awfully tough haul for Jason Spezza ever since he was booed off the ice once the team lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins in the playoffs.
He dealt with trade rumors during the summer and now a groin injury hampers him on the ice. The slick playmaking center will probably miss his third consecutive game Tuesday against the Phoenix Coyotes because of a groin injury that’s been a problem since training camp, according to TSN.
The 27-year old Spezza did not take the ice at Senators’ practice Monday after missing the past two games with a groin injury. Head coach Cory Clouston told reporters following practice that his top playmaker is doubtful for Tuesday’s game with the Phoenix Coyotes, however he hopes to have him back in the lineup for Thursday’s encounter with the Florida Panthers.
Spezza’s sometimes-indifferent play in his own end (and occasional tendency to turn the puck over too easily) draws the ire of many Senators fans, but it’s clear that he isn’t the only problem in Ottawa. You almost have to wonder if it’s only a matter of time until the team trades the talented passer, though.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 9
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 85
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 79
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 68
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 46
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 171
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (171)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (85)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (79)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (78)