Oct 25, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty is dealing with concussion-like symptoms after taking a hit from Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole on Wednesday. The Kings hope he’ll be able to return for Wednesday’s game in Chicago against the Blackhawks, according to Rotoworld.com.
The team opted against putting him on the injured reserve because doing so would have made him unavailable for the game he’s nearly certain to miss (tonight’s game against the Minnesota Wild) as well as two that are toss-ups (Wednesday vs. Chicago and Thursday in Dallas against the Stars).
The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the 20-year old Doughty, who remains sidelined with a concussion, has skated for the past four days, however he suffered a slight setback on Saturday. He will need to be symptom free for two days before he takes a baseline test needed to get medical clearance to return to the lineup.
Doughty is off to a relatively slow start with zero goals and one assist in five games played, but his impact cannot be solely measured in offensive numbers. The Kings hope to get their dynamic young defenseman back as soon as possible, but we’ll pass along updates as they come in.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)