Oct 25, 2010, 3:02 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty is dealing with concussion-like symptoms after taking a hit from Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole on Wednesday. The Kings hope he’ll be able to return for Wednesday’s game in Chicago against the Blackhawks, according to Rotoworld.com.
The team opted against putting him on the injured reserve because doing so would have made him unavailable for the game he’s nearly certain to miss (tonight’s game against the Minnesota Wild) as well as two that are toss-ups (Wednesday vs. Chicago and Thursday in Dallas against the Stars).
The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the 20-year old Doughty, who remains sidelined with a concussion, has skated for the past four days, however he suffered a slight setback on Saturday. He will need to be symptom free for two days before he takes a baseline test needed to get medical clearance to return to the lineup.
Doughty is off to a relatively slow start with zero goals and one assist in five games played, but his impact cannot be solely measured in offensive numbers. The Kings hope to get their dynamic young defenseman back as soon as possible, but we’ll pass along updates as they come in.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (74)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)