Oct 25, 2010, 3:02 PM EDT
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty is dealing with concussion-like symptoms after taking a hit from Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole on Wednesday. The Kings hope he’ll be able to return for Wednesday’s game in Chicago against the Blackhawks, according to Rotoworld.com.
The team opted against putting him on the injured reserve because doing so would have made him unavailable for the game he’s nearly certain to miss (tonight’s game against the Minnesota Wild) as well as two that are toss-ups (Wednesday vs. Chicago and Thursday in Dallas against the Stars).
The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the 20-year old Doughty, who remains sidelined with a concussion, has skated for the past four days, however he suffered a slight setback on Saturday. He will need to be symptom free for two days before he takes a baseline test needed to get medical clearance to return to the lineup.
Doughty is off to a relatively slow start with zero goals and one assist in five games played, but his impact cannot be solely measured in offensive numbers. The Kings hope to get their dynamic young defenseman back as soon as possible, but we’ll pass along updates as they come in.
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 50
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 2
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Redemption time? Montreal, Semin agree to one-year deal 26
- Full autonomy: Lamoriello’s place in Leafs’ chain of command 26
- Lamoriello’s departure removes any doubt: Devils are Shero’s team 21
- With Lamoriello hire, Leafs hammer home their culture change 23
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Ah, arbitration: Holtby reportedly asking for $8 million, Caps countering at $5.1 million (59)