Oct 25, 2010, 3:02 PM EST
Los Angeles Kings defenseman Drew Doughty is dealing with concussion-like symptoms after taking a hit from Carolina Hurricanes forward Erik Cole on Wednesday. The Kings hope he’ll be able to return for Wednesday’s game in Chicago against the Blackhawks, according to Rotoworld.com.
The team opted against putting him on the injured reserve because doing so would have made him unavailable for the game he’s nearly certain to miss (tonight’s game against the Minnesota Wild) as well as two that are toss-ups (Wednesday vs. Chicago and Thursday in Dallas against the Stars).
The Los Angeles Times is reporting that the 20-year old Doughty, who remains sidelined with a concussion, has skated for the past four days, however he suffered a slight setback on Saturday. He will need to be symptom free for two days before he takes a baseline test needed to get medical clearance to return to the lineup.
Doughty is off to a relatively slow start with zero goals and one assist in five games played, but his impact cannot be solely measured in offensive numbers. The Kings hope to get their dynamic young defenseman back as soon as possible, but we’ll pass along updates as they come in.
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 1
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 4
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 6
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 16
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 42
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)