Oct 25, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
We normally put up our previews earlier in the day, but this Monday’s been jam packed with hockey fun (you’re going to have to click on “older posts” to see the first entry of the day). Let’s take a look at today’s sparse schedule of three games now that the dust cleared … a bit. All starts times are Eastern (ET).
Philadelphia @ Columbus
The Blue Jackets have been an absolute disaster at home this season, losing two out of their three games in Columbus by a combined score of 11-4 (they did beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-1, though, so I guess you could call it 12-7). Perhaps they can build some momentum after a road win against the Chicago Blackhawks, though.
Meanwhile, the Flyers recently ended a three-game winning streak by beating the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-2 to salvage a five-game home stand (2-3-0 in those games). Perhaps Scott Hartnell shedding his horrible locks for a great cause will galvanize his teammates?
Phoenix @ Montreal
The Canadiens haven’t lost to the Coyotes since December 9, 1998, according to Stats Inc. The Habs also are playing better hockey lately while Phoenix is struggling a bit (although the Yotes haven’t played in very many games so far this season). About the only trend that favors Dave Tippett and Co. is the fact that Carey Price has been more effective on the road than at home.
Los Angeles @ Minnesota
One thing’s just about certain in this game: Drew Doughty won’t suit up for the Los Angeles Kings. Another young L.A. skater might miss this game as well, as this Associated Press preview indicates that Wayne Simmonds might be out for tonight’s bout with the Wild as well.
The third-year winger intentionally hit Colorado defenseman T.J. Galiardi in the groin area with the end of his stick in Saturday night’s 6-4 win against the Avalanche. Simmonds received a five-minute major penalty and a 10-minute game misconduct. The NHL is reviewing the play to determine a suspension.
Now that’s not very neighborly.
The Kings have won three of the last four games between the two teams, but with the possible losses for Los Angeles and the game taking place in Minnesota (the Kings’ only two defeats came on the road), this one can go either way.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 22
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)