Oct 25, 2010, 4:17 PM EST
We normally put up our previews earlier in the day, but this Monday’s been jam packed with hockey fun (you’re going to have to click on “older posts” to see the first entry of the day). Let’s take a look at today’s sparse schedule of three games now that the dust cleared … a bit. All starts times are Eastern (ET).
Philadelphia @ Columbus
The Blue Jackets have been an absolute disaster at home this season, losing two out of their three games in Columbus by a combined score of 11-4 (they did beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-1, though, so I guess you could call it 12-7). Perhaps they can build some momentum after a road win against the Chicago Blackhawks, though.
Meanwhile, the Flyers recently ended a three-game winning streak by beating the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-2 to salvage a five-game home stand (2-3-0 in those games). Perhaps Scott Hartnell shedding his horrible locks for a great cause will galvanize his teammates?
Phoenix @ Montreal
The Canadiens haven’t lost to the Coyotes since December 9, 1998, according to Stats Inc. The Habs also are playing better hockey lately while Phoenix is struggling a bit (although the Yotes haven’t played in very many games so far this season). About the only trend that favors Dave Tippett and Co. is the fact that Carey Price has been more effective on the road than at home.
Los Angeles @ Minnesota
One thing’s just about certain in this game: Drew Doughty won’t suit up for the Los Angeles Kings. Another young L.A. skater might miss this game as well, as this Associated Press preview indicates that Wayne Simmonds might be out for tonight’s bout with the Wild as well.
The third-year winger intentionally hit Colorado defenseman T.J. Galiardi in the groin area with the end of his stick in Saturday night’s 6-4 win against the Avalanche. Simmonds received a five-minute major penalty and a 10-minute game misconduct. The NHL is reviewing the play to determine a suspension.
Now that’s not very neighborly.
The Kings have won three of the last four games between the two teams, but with the possible losses for Los Angeles and the game taking place in Minnesota (the Kings’ only two defeats came on the road), this one can go either way.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)