Oct 25, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
We normally put up our previews earlier in the day, but this Monday’s been jam packed with hockey fun (you’re going to have to click on “older posts” to see the first entry of the day). Let’s take a look at today’s sparse schedule of three games now that the dust cleared … a bit. All starts times are Eastern (ET).
Philadelphia @ Columbus
The Blue Jackets have been an absolute disaster at home this season, losing two out of their three games in Columbus by a combined score of 11-4 (they did beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-1, though, so I guess you could call it 12-7). Perhaps they can build some momentum after a road win against the Chicago Blackhawks, though.
Meanwhile, the Flyers recently ended a three-game winning streak by beating the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-2 to salvage a five-game home stand (2-3-0 in those games). Perhaps Scott Hartnell shedding his horrible locks for a great cause will galvanize his teammates?
Phoenix @ Montreal
The Canadiens haven’t lost to the Coyotes since December 9, 1998, according to Stats Inc. The Habs also are playing better hockey lately while Phoenix is struggling a bit (although the Yotes haven’t played in very many games so far this season). About the only trend that favors Dave Tippett and Co. is the fact that Carey Price has been more effective on the road than at home.
Los Angeles @ Minnesota
One thing’s just about certain in this game: Drew Doughty won’t suit up for the Los Angeles Kings. Another young L.A. skater might miss this game as well, as this Associated Press preview indicates that Wayne Simmonds might be out for tonight’s bout with the Wild as well.
The third-year winger intentionally hit Colorado defenseman T.J. Galiardi in the groin area with the end of his stick in Saturday night’s 6-4 win against the Avalanche. Simmonds received a five-minute major penalty and a 10-minute game misconduct. The NHL is reviewing the play to determine a suspension.
Now that’s not very neighborly.
The Kings have won three of the last four games between the two teams, but with the possible losses for Los Angeles and the game taking place in Minnesota (the Kings’ only two defeats came on the road), this one can go either way.
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 22
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)