Oct 25, 2010, 4:17 PM EDT
We normally put up our previews earlier in the day, but this Monday’s been jam packed with hockey fun (you’re going to have to click on “older posts” to see the first entry of the day). Let’s take a look at today’s sparse schedule of three games now that the dust cleared … a bit. All starts times are Eastern (ET).
Philadelphia @ Columbus
The Blue Jackets have been an absolute disaster at home this season, losing two out of their three games in Columbus by a combined score of 11-4 (they did beat the Anaheim Ducks 3-1, though, so I guess you could call it 12-7). Perhaps they can build some momentum after a road win against the Chicago Blackhawks, though.
Meanwhile, the Flyers recently ended a three-game winning streak by beating the Toronto Maple Leafs 5-2 to salvage a five-game home stand (2-3-0 in those games). Perhaps Scott Hartnell shedding his horrible locks for a great cause will galvanize his teammates?
Phoenix @ Montreal
The Canadiens haven’t lost to the Coyotes since December 9, 1998, according to Stats Inc. The Habs also are playing better hockey lately while Phoenix is struggling a bit (although the Yotes haven’t played in very many games so far this season). About the only trend that favors Dave Tippett and Co. is the fact that Carey Price has been more effective on the road than at home.
Los Angeles @ Minnesota
One thing’s just about certain in this game: Drew Doughty won’t suit up for the Los Angeles Kings. Another young L.A. skater might miss this game as well, as this Associated Press preview indicates that Wayne Simmonds might be out for tonight’s bout with the Wild as well.
The third-year winger intentionally hit Colorado defenseman T.J. Galiardi in the groin area with the end of his stick in Saturday night’s 6-4 win against the Avalanche. Simmonds received a five-minute major penalty and a 10-minute game misconduct. The NHL is reviewing the play to determine a suspension.
Now that’s not very neighborly.
The Kings have won three of the last four games between the two teams, but with the possible losses for Los Angeles and the game taking place in Minnesota (the Kings’ only two defeats came on the road), this one can go either way.
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)