Oct 24, 2010, 5:07 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Note: One of today’s three games starts a little early, so remember to set your rosters accordingly.
6:00 PM ET game
Nashville @ Tampa Bay
Likely Nashville starter: Anders Lindback – Pekka Rinne started last night’s game against Dallas, which strengthens the Lindback argument. Then again, Rinne earned a shutout, so maybe he’ll be rewarded for his good work. I lean toward Lindback, though. (Source: On the Forecheck.)
Likely Tampa Bay starter: Dan Ellis – Ellis faces his old team tonight, but if the previous prediction is correct, he probably won’t face the goalie who once started in front of him in Rinne. (Source: Raw Charge.)
7:00 PM ET game
New Jersey @ NY Rangers
Likely New Jersey starter: Martin Brodeur – Johan Hedberg failed miserably in his first start of the season, so don’t be surprised if Brodeur resumes his … well, Brodeur-like workload going forward.
Likely NY Rangers starter: Henrik Lundqvist – It’s a rivalry game and the Rangers are on a two-game winning streak, so I’d expect these two goalies to go up against each other in this one.
8:00 PM ET game
San Jose @ Calgary
Likely San Jose starter: Antti Niemi – This is a guess at this point (I’ll try to keep my open for updates, so you might want to check back in an couple hours), but Antero Niittymaki isn’t the no-brainer starter every night yet. I think. Maybe.
Likely Calgary starter: Miikka Kiprusoff – Henrik Karlsson got his first start and it was a success, but this is Kipper’s team. (Source: Roger Millions of Sportsnet.)
- Carolina is ‘concerned’ about Jordan Staal, who was helped off the ice 1
- IIHF, NHL to meet next month to discuss World Cup (Updated) 0
- Caps unveil new Winter Classic jerseys 25
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 8
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 10
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough (35)
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks (29)