Oct 24, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
You can say we’re big fans of doing good things for charity around here and with this month being the NHL’s Hockey Fights Cancer month, seeing some of the innovative ways teams are going about raising money for charity is interesting to see play out. The Kings and Avalanche decided to amp things up in a fascinating way by involving hockey fans on Twitter. Each team asked that Twitter users made use of a team-centric hashtag (either #GoKings or #GoAvs) during last night’s game between the teams. Each time that hashtag was used while the game was going on, depending on which team you decided to throw your support behind, the team would give a dollar to the charity of their choosing.
As things tend to go on Twitter, it caught on like wildfire and the Los Angeles Kings were apparently so popular during this time that “#GoKings” became the top trending topic on Twitter for a short time. Not bad considering all the other events going on last night that had users buzzing. So how did things turn out? Turns out the Kings won on the ice and on the Internet. The Kings came through with 29,374 tweets while the Avs had 13,876 for the game. While the battle on the Internet was for all fun and games, the real winner was charity and that’s something anyone can get behind.
Meanwhile in Edmonton, the Oilers held a Rally Against Cancer to raise money for local charities in the Edmonton area and the people there really came through in a big way raising $100,000 for charity. It’s the second year in a row they’ve raised six-figures worth of dough. Sure they might struggle on the ice, but off of it they’re taking care of business.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8