Oct 24, 2010, 11:50 AM EDT
You can say we’re big fans of doing good things for charity around here and with this month being the NHL’s Hockey Fights Cancer month, seeing some of the innovative ways teams are going about raising money for charity is interesting to see play out. The Kings and Avalanche decided to amp things up in a fascinating way by involving hockey fans on Twitter. Each team asked that Twitter users made use of a team-centric hashtag (either #GoKings or #GoAvs) during last night’s game between the teams. Each time that hashtag was used while the game was going on, depending on which team you decided to throw your support behind, the team would give a dollar to the charity of their choosing.
As things tend to go on Twitter, it caught on like wildfire and the Los Angeles Kings were apparently so popular during this time that “#GoKings” became the top trending topic on Twitter for a short time. Not bad considering all the other events going on last night that had users buzzing. So how did things turn out? Turns out the Kings won on the ice and on the Internet. The Kings came through with 29,374 tweets while the Avs had 13,876 for the game. While the battle on the Internet was for all fun and games, the real winner was charity and that’s something anyone can get behind.
Meanwhile in Edmonton, the Oilers held a Rally Against Cancer to raise money for local charities in the Edmonton area and the people there really came through in a big way raising $100,000 for charity. It’s the second year in a row they’ve raised six-figures worth of dough. Sure they might struggle on the ice, but off of it they’re taking care of business.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)