Oct 24, 2010, 11:58 PM EDT
Initially, this game was all about Antti Niemi’s tough night and the strong possibility that the San Jose Sharks might have a goalie controversy on their hands. Yet Calgary Flames goalie Miikka Kiprusoff’s great performance was the real story of this contest, as the other other Finnish goalie pitched a 27-save shutout tonight.
This was Kipper’s second shutout of the season.
To Antero Niittymaki’s credit, he didn’t allow another goal after giving up his first (and the Flames’ fourth) tally about three minutes into his relief duty for Niemi.
Rene Bourque scored the first (aka the game-winner) on the power play and provided the final goal to boot. Jarome Iginla and Craig Conroy also scored for Calgary while Alex Tanguay racked up two primary assists.
The Flames are (cough) heating up quite a bit, now. They’ve won two in a row, outscoring San Jose and Columbus 10-2. Calgary has four wins in their last five games. They now have 10 points in eight games played, giving them the Northwest Division lead over Colorado and Vancouver, two teams tied at eight points in eight games played.
This was the first road loss of the season for San Jose. They are tied with Anaheim for third place with seven points, but played two less games so far (the Ducks played in nine while the Sharks appeared in seven). They trail the Los Angeles Kings and Dallas Stars, two teams tied for first in the Pacific, with 5-2 records for 10 points in seven games.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 5
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 20
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (78)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (56)