Oct 24, 2010, 8:45 PM EST
If there wasn’t justification for a goalie controversy in the San Jose Sharks net, it’s difficult to argue against that reality after tonight’s disastrous start against the Calgary Flames.
The Sharks pulled Antti Niemi before the first period ended today after the struggling Finnish netminder allowed three goals on only five shots, surrendering goals to Rene Bourque, Jarome Iginla and Craig Conroy.
He was yanked in favor of Antero Niittymaki, the supposed “1b” in net. Niittymaki hasn’t been perfect either, though, as he allowed Bourque’s second goal of the game but stopped seven out of eight shots so far.
There are a few more minutes left in the first period now, with Calgary up 4-0. We’ll have a full recap of the game later on, but it’s hard to deny that a goalie controversy is brewing.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)