Oct 24, 2010, 8:45 PM EDT
If there wasn’t justification for a goalie controversy in the San Jose Sharks net, it’s difficult to argue against that reality after tonight’s disastrous start against the Calgary Flames.
The Sharks pulled Antti Niemi before the first period ended today after the struggling Finnish netminder allowed three goals on only five shots, surrendering goals to Rene Bourque, Jarome Iginla and Craig Conroy.
He was yanked in favor of Antero Niittymaki, the supposed “1b” in net. Niittymaki hasn’t been perfect either, though, as he allowed Bourque’s second goal of the game but stopped seven out of eight shots so far.
There are a few more minutes left in the first period now, with Calgary up 4-0. We’ll have a full recap of the game later on, but it’s hard to deny that a goalie controversy is brewing.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)