Oct 24, 2010, 8:45 PM EST
If there wasn’t justification for a goalie controversy in the San Jose Sharks net, it’s difficult to argue against that reality after tonight’s disastrous start against the Calgary Flames.
The Sharks pulled Antti Niemi before the first period ended today after the struggling Finnish netminder allowed three goals on only five shots, surrendering goals to Rene Bourque, Jarome Iginla and Craig Conroy.
He was yanked in favor of Antero Niittymaki, the supposed “1b” in net. Niittymaki hasn’t been perfect either, though, as he allowed Bourque’s second goal of the game but stopped seven out of eight shots so far.
There are a few more minutes left in the first period now, with Calgary up 4-0. We’ll have a full recap of the game later on, but it’s hard to deny that a goalie controversy is brewing.
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test 2
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 4
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 18
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 10
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 35
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6