Oct 24, 2010, 8:45 PM EDT
If there wasn’t justification for a goalie controversy in the San Jose Sharks net, it’s difficult to argue against that reality after tonight’s disastrous start against the Calgary Flames.
The Sharks pulled Antti Niemi before the first period ended today after the struggling Finnish netminder allowed three goals on only five shots, surrendering goals to Rene Bourque, Jarome Iginla and Craig Conroy.
He was yanked in favor of Antero Niittymaki, the supposed “1b” in net. Niittymaki hasn’t been perfect either, though, as he allowed Bourque’s second goal of the game but stopped seven out of eight shots so far.
There are a few more minutes left in the first period now, with Calgary up 4-0. We’ll have a full recap of the game later on, but it’s hard to deny that a goalie controversy is brewing.
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 5
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 20
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 78
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 35
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 41
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)