Oct 24, 2010, 8:45 PM EDT
If there wasn’t justification for a goalie controversy in the San Jose Sharks net, it’s difficult to argue against that reality after tonight’s disastrous start against the Calgary Flames.
The Sharks pulled Antti Niemi before the first period ended today after the struggling Finnish netminder allowed three goals on only five shots, surrendering goals to Rene Bourque, Jarome Iginla and Craig Conroy.
He was yanked in favor of Antero Niittymaki, the supposed “1b” in net. Niittymaki hasn’t been perfect either, though, as he allowed Bourque’s second goal of the game but stopped seven out of eight shots so far.
There are a few more minutes left in the first period now, with Calgary up 4-0. We’ll have a full recap of the game later on, but it’s hard to deny that a goalie controversy is brewing.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 19
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 42
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)