Oct 23, 2010, 2:30 PM EDT
NHL general managers make a ton of tough decisions, but one of the toughest involve how to handle young talent. In a salary cap era, you have to get plenty of bang for the buck, as many teams reap the benefits of a player’s entry-level contract years or a well-timed second contract.
This time around, six rookies are nearing the nine game deadline for GMs to decide whether to keep them at the NHL level or preserve a year on their entry level deals by sending them to the minors or juniors. NHL.com provides the list of those six players.
This season, the special six who remain with their teams are the Oilers’ Taylor Hall (first pick), the Bruins’ Tyler Seguin (second), the Islanders’ Nino Niederreiter (fifth), [Jeff] Skinner (seventh), the Thrashers’ Alexander Burmistrov (eighth) and the Ducks’ Cam Fowler (twelfth).
Here is a schedule of the dates in which each player will hit their ninth game of the season.
TBD: Fowler (Ducks)*
October 27: Niederreiter (Islanders), Burmistrov (Thrashers)
October 28: Skinner (Hurricanes)
October 29: Hall (Oilers)
November 3: Seguin (Bruins)
* – Only games played in count towards the limit. Being scratched or out due to injury doesn’t count towards the total.
It should be interesting to see how each team will handle their rookie situation. While Hall is almost certain to stay with Edmonton, players such as Niederreiter could go either way.
We’ll keep you up to date as these teams make their choices and might even provide our two cents on the matter.
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 5
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 46
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)