Oct 23, 2010, 3:58 PM EDT
For Philadelphia Flyers fans, rugged winger Scott Hartnell’s hair is a source of much joy and entertainment. The team even had a Hartnell inspired wig giveaway as one of its promotions.
For the remaining hockey fans, Hartnell’s ‘do ranges from over the top to flat-out obnoxious.
One thing that Flyers fans and rivals should approve of, though, is that Hartnell is going to shed that mane for charity. TSN shares the details about the tough forward’s first haircut in three years.
The haircut is all for a good cause as Hartnell will donate his shorn locks to the charity organization ‘Locks for Love’ who are a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.
If I remember correctly, Mike Commodore shaved his hilarious ginger afro for charity at one point, as well. It’s one thing to donate money to charity, but moments like these bring a nice amount of extra attention to their causes because they’re unusual promotions.
You never know, Hartnell might even be a little quicker without all that hair (though he might lose a little bit of punch protection without his mane).
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 10
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 18
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 21
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 16
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 53
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 35