Oct 23, 2010, 3:58 PM EST
For Philadelphia Flyers fans, rugged winger Scott Hartnell’s hair is a source of much joy and entertainment. The team even had a Hartnell inspired wig giveaway as one of its promotions.
For the remaining hockey fans, Hartnell’s ‘do ranges from over the top to flat-out obnoxious.
One thing that Flyers fans and rivals should approve of, though, is that Hartnell is going to shed that mane for charity. TSN shares the details about the tough forward’s first haircut in three years.
The haircut is all for a good cause as Hartnell will donate his shorn locks to the charity organization ‘Locks for Love’ who are a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.
If I remember correctly, Mike Commodore shaved his hilarious ginger afro for charity at one point, as well. It’s one thing to donate money to charity, but moments like these bring a nice amount of extra attention to their causes because they’re unusual promotions.
You never know, Hartnell might even be a little quicker without all that hair (though he might lose a little bit of punch protection without his mane).
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)