Oct 23, 2010, 3:58 PM EDT
For Philadelphia Flyers fans, rugged winger Scott Hartnell’s hair is a source of much joy and entertainment. The team even had a Hartnell inspired wig giveaway as one of its promotions.
For the remaining hockey fans, Hartnell’s ‘do ranges from over the top to flat-out obnoxious.
One thing that Flyers fans and rivals should approve of, though, is that Hartnell is going to shed that mane for charity. TSN shares the details about the tough forward’s first haircut in three years.
The haircut is all for a good cause as Hartnell will donate his shorn locks to the charity organization ‘Locks for Love’ who are a public non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children in the United States and Canada under age 21 suffering from long-term medical hair loss from any diagnosis.
If I remember correctly, Mike Commodore shaved his hilarious ginger afro for charity at one point, as well. It’s one thing to donate money to charity, but moments like these bring a nice amount of extra attention to their causes because they’re unusual promotions.
You never know, Hartnell might even be a little quicker without all that hair (though he might lose a little bit of punch protection without his mane).
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 46
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 123
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 80
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7