Oct 23, 2010, 7:31 PM EDT
Consider this to be your heads up for the talking point for the next few days. Ilya Kovalchuk is out of the lineup for tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres as a healthy scratch. Head coach John MacLean wants to give him a night off to think about things.
So far this season, Kovalchuk has two goals and three assists and is tied for the team lead in points with Jason Arnott. In the last two games, Kovalchuk has not registered a point and is a -2. Through the Devils’ first seven games, Kovalchuk has not had a point in four of them, so scoring is coming in bunches when it does happen.
For just about any player in the league getting a night off to clear your head wouldn’t be a big deal. When it’s Ilya Kovalchuk getting the night off, he of the newly signed 15-year $100 million contract, that is a huge deal and with the Devils struggling early on, makes for a big source of worry amongst fans.
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 10
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 17
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 12
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 64
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1