Oct 23, 2010, 7:31 PM EST
Consider this to be your heads up for the talking point for the next few days. Ilya Kovalchuk is out of the lineup for tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres as a healthy scratch. Head coach John MacLean wants to give him a night off to think about things.
So far this season, Kovalchuk has two goals and three assists and is tied for the team lead in points with Jason Arnott. In the last two games, Kovalchuk has not registered a point and is a -2. Through the Devils’ first seven games, Kovalchuk has not had a point in four of them, so scoring is coming in bunches when it does happen.
For just about any player in the league getting a night off to clear your head wouldn’t be a big deal. When it’s Ilya Kovalchuk getting the night off, he of the newly signed 15-year $100 million contract, that is a huge deal and with the Devils struggling early on, makes for a big source of worry amongst fans.
- Lightning ride Paquette’s first hat trick to Atlantic lead 4
- Price wins goalie duel vs. Lundqvist as Habs edge Rangers 2
- Leafs’ luck: Bernier gives up long distance goal, things unravel in third 15
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 33
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 15
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 15
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 2
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46