Oct 23, 2010, 7:31 PM EDT
Consider this to be your heads up for the talking point for the next few days. Ilya Kovalchuk is out of the lineup for tonight’s game against the Buffalo Sabres as a healthy scratch. Head coach John MacLean wants to give him a night off to think about things.
So far this season, Kovalchuk has two goals and three assists and is tied for the team lead in points with Jason Arnott. In the last two games, Kovalchuk has not registered a point and is a -2. Through the Devils’ first seven games, Kovalchuk has not had a point in four of them, so scoring is coming in bunches when it does happen.
For just about any player in the league getting a night off to clear your head wouldn’t be a big deal. When it’s Ilya Kovalchuk getting the night off, he of the newly signed 15-year $100 million contract, that is a huge deal and with the Devils struggling early on, makes for a big source of worry amongst fans.
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 14
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 31
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (45)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)