Oct 23, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
With only 60 or so jobs available, life isn’t easy for the types of goalies who aren’t automatic $5 million+ starters. Just look at the careers of guys who had some low moments but actually put together solid numbers like (don’t laugh … too much) Roman Cechmanek. He had a few shaky moments after being productive – including, get this, a damaging stint with the Los Angeles Kings – and then he rapidly fell out of the NHL just like that.
Another Kings goalie seems like he’s on his way out, possibly to the KHL, as Rich Hammond reports that Erik Ersberg cleared waivers today. Since he left the AHL’s Manchester Monarchs without permission, the Kings can also terminate his contract.
Erik Ersberg has cleared waivers and the Kings are in the process of terminating his contract, which will allow him to join a KHL team. The Kings were able to terminate the contract because Ersberg left the team (Manchester) without permission.
Kind of a bummer, but Ersberg must not feel very confident about his future with the team with the two Jonathans (Quick and Bernier) ahead of him on the depth chart and each player being quite a bit younger than him.
Ersberg never made much of an impact in the NHL, but he received a genuine chance to put something together. He played 11 games last season (4-3-2) after getting a big chunk of starts (28, going 8-11-5) in 2008-09.
Good luck to Ersberg, as he’s likely to ply his trade overseas after falling short of the mark in the NHL.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)