Oct 23, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
With only 60 or so jobs available, life isn’t easy for the types of goalies who aren’t automatic $5 million+ starters. Just look at the careers of guys who had some low moments but actually put together solid numbers like (don’t laugh … too much) Roman Cechmanek. He had a few shaky moments after being productive – including, get this, a damaging stint with the Los Angeles Kings – and then he rapidly fell out of the NHL just like that.
Another Kings goalie seems like he’s on his way out, possibly to the KHL, as Rich Hammond reports that Erik Ersberg cleared waivers today. Since he left the AHL’s Manchester Monarchs without permission, the Kings can also terminate his contract.
Erik Ersberg has cleared waivers and the Kings are in the process of terminating his contract, which will allow him to join a KHL team. The Kings were able to terminate the contract because Ersberg left the team (Manchester) without permission.
Kind of a bummer, but Ersberg must not feel very confident about his future with the team with the two Jonathans (Quick and Bernier) ahead of him on the depth chart and each player being quite a bit younger than him.
Ersberg never made much of an impact in the NHL, but he received a genuine chance to put something together. He played 11 games last season (4-3-2) after getting a big chunk of starts (28, going 8-11-5) in 2008-09.
Good luck to Ersberg, as he’s likely to ply his trade overseas after falling short of the mark in the NHL.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)