Oct 23, 2010, 1:29 PM EDT
With only 60 or so jobs available, life isn’t easy for the types of goalies who aren’t automatic $5 million+ starters. Just look at the careers of guys who had some low moments but actually put together solid numbers like (don’t laugh … too much) Roman Cechmanek. He had a few shaky moments after being productive – including, get this, a damaging stint with the Los Angeles Kings – and then he rapidly fell out of the NHL just like that.
Another Kings goalie seems like he’s on his way out, possibly to the KHL, as Rich Hammond reports that Erik Ersberg cleared waivers today. Since he left the AHL’s Manchester Monarchs without permission, the Kings can also terminate his contract.
Erik Ersberg has cleared waivers and the Kings are in the process of terminating his contract, which will allow him to join a KHL team. The Kings were able to terminate the contract because Ersberg left the team (Manchester) without permission.
Kind of a bummer, but Ersberg must not feel very confident about his future with the team with the two Jonathans (Quick and Bernier) ahead of him on the depth chart and each player being quite a bit younger than him.
Ersberg never made much of an impact in the NHL, but he received a genuine chance to put something together. He played 11 games last season (4-3-2) after getting a big chunk of starts (28, going 8-11-5) in 2008-09.
Good luck to Ersberg, as he’s likely to ply his trade overseas after falling short of the mark in the NHL.
- Could Lundqvist start Saturday for the Rangers? 6
- Five big games to watch this weekend 6
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 33
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 15
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 55
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (55)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)