Oct 22, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Calgary @ Columbus
Calgary’s likely starter: Rookie Henrik Karlsson gets his first NHL start and if there was ever a team to get your first shot against, Columbus is as good as any. The Blue Jackets have enough guys that can threaten to score but also play inconsistent enough to give Karlsson a shot at winning.
Columbus’ likely starter: Steve Mason gets the nod once again in goal for the Blue Jackets. He’ll be hoping to keep the NHL’s worst scoring team off the board and keep himself from being their offensive slump buster.
Ottawa @ Buffalo
Ottawa’s likely starter: It’ll be Brian Elliott looking to keep his undefeated record against Buffalo alive. In his career, he’s 8-0-0 against the Sabres.
Buffalo’s likely starter: Ryan Miller gets the nod once again for Buffalo. If anyone’s been snake-bitten by an in consistent team this year, it’s Miller. Having Ottawa come to town with Elliott in goal with his record certainly puts the pressure on Miller to be outstanding. Luckily for him, Ottawa’s offense has been about as inconsistent as Buffalo’s.
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Tampa Bay’s likely starter: Mike Smith gets the call tonight after Dan Ellis was the hard-luck loser against the Islanders last night.
Atlanta’s likely starter: Chris Mason gets the call yet again. Mason had a hard time handling the Sabres his last time out and he’ll be looking for a strong bounce back effort against the offensively struggling Lightning.
Chicago @ St. Louis
Chicago’s likely starter: Marty Turco gets the nod tonight. With back-to-back games coming up for Chicago it was a toss-up whether Turco would go tonight or tomorrow against Columbus. Looks like the coin toss went Turco’s way tonight to draw the Blues as he’ll be making his fifth start in a row.
St. Louis’ likely starter: Jaroslav Halak looks to be the man in goal tonight for the Blues. The Blues will need the best to deal with Marian Hossa and his seven goals scored already this year.
Minnesota @ Vancouver
Minnesota’s likely starter: Jose Theodore gets his first start and first action in general as a member of the Minnesota Wild. Theodore was a late signing by the Wild after Josh Harding blew out his knee in the preseason.
Vancouver’s likely starter: Cory Schneider will start for Vancouver and the biggest reason why is because Roberto Luongo’s past efforts against the Wild have been abysmal. Allowing Luongo to not continue living out a reoccurring nightmare is probably in the Canucks’ best interests. That sort of action is better off left for the playoffs anyhow. It’ll be Schneider’s second start of the season.
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 2
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 5
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 5
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 19
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 16
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 3
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 16
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 24
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)