Oct 22, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
Whether you’re interested for fantasy hockey reasons or just want to know which goalie your team is playing in a given day, we thought it might be helpful to share our best guesses (based on various previews from newspapers and Web sites plus our own instincts) on who might start each day.
Calgary @ Columbus
Calgary’s likely starter: Rookie Henrik Karlsson gets his first NHL start and if there was ever a team to get your first shot against, Columbus is as good as any. The Blue Jackets have enough guys that can threaten to score but also play inconsistent enough to give Karlsson a shot at winning.
Columbus’ likely starter: Steve Mason gets the nod once again in goal for the Blue Jackets. He’ll be hoping to keep the NHL’s worst scoring team off the board and keep himself from being their offensive slump buster.
Ottawa @ Buffalo
Ottawa’s likely starter: It’ll be Brian Elliott looking to keep his undefeated record against Buffalo alive. In his career, he’s 8-0-0 against the Sabres.
Buffalo’s likely starter: Ryan Miller gets the nod once again for Buffalo. If anyone’s been snake-bitten by an in consistent team this year, it’s Miller. Having Ottawa come to town with Elliott in goal with his record certainly puts the pressure on Miller to be outstanding. Luckily for him, Ottawa’s offense has been about as inconsistent as Buffalo’s.
Tampa Bay @ Atlanta
Tampa Bay’s likely starter: Mike Smith gets the call tonight after Dan Ellis was the hard-luck loser against the Islanders last night.
Atlanta’s likely starter: Chris Mason gets the call yet again. Mason had a hard time handling the Sabres his last time out and he’ll be looking for a strong bounce back effort against the offensively struggling Lightning.
Chicago @ St. Louis
Chicago’s likely starter: Marty Turco gets the nod tonight. With back-to-back games coming up for Chicago it was a toss-up whether Turco would go tonight or tomorrow against Columbus. Looks like the coin toss went Turco’s way tonight to draw the Blues as he’ll be making his fifth start in a row.
St. Louis’ likely starter: Jaroslav Halak looks to be the man in goal tonight for the Blues. The Blues will need the best to deal with Marian Hossa and his seven goals scored already this year.
Minnesota @ Vancouver
Minnesota’s likely starter: Jose Theodore gets his first start and first action in general as a member of the Minnesota Wild. Theodore was a late signing by the Wild after Josh Harding blew out his knee in the preseason.
Vancouver’s likely starter: Cory Schneider will start for Vancouver and the biggest reason why is because Roberto Luongo’s past efforts against the Wild have been abysmal. Allowing Luongo to not continue living out a reoccurring nightmare is probably in the Canucks’ best interests. That sort of action is better off left for the playoffs anyhow. It’ll be Schneider’s second start of the season.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)