Oct 22, 2010, 9:06 PM EDT
Oh, Ice Girls and cheerleaders. Your gyrations and spandex uniforms are fodder for post-goal closeups and frowning house wives in equal proportions. It’s debatable whether they make sense in sports in general and hockey in particular, but anyone who cringes at their presence must also acknowledge that they’re not going anywhere. In fact, their navel-sporting presence is growing throughout the NHL.
Twenty-three American NHL teams already featured some variation on ice girls/cheerleaders as part of their in-arena entertainment. This might be a milestone that leaves some a bit squeamish, but the Edmonton Oilers will become the first Canadian NHL team to employ cheerleaders, as Joe discussed yesterday.
To little surprise, the decision indeed ruffled a few feathers. Jeff Cummings tracked down Lisa Munro, an Oilers fan who started an online petition intended to convince the Oilers to halt their plans to add cheerleaders.
Petition author Lisi Monro, 26, says a cheer team would ruin the longtime traditional experience at Rexall, and the sight of scantily clad cheerleaders on the ice is not part of the hockey culture in Canada.
“This isn’t appropriate for a Canadian hockey team to have this kind of entertainment,” said Monro about her petition http://www.PetitionOnline.com/NoCheer.
“I don’t think this is hockey. (This type of entertainment) doesn’t represent the tradition of the game.”
Cummings reported that the petition garnered 60 votes by this afternoon, although the URL listed in that quote didn’t work properly when I tried it. Either way, it will take far more than 60 votes for the Oilers to backpedal on this decision.
But that doesn’t mean that every portion of their fan base will be titillated.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal