Oct 22, 2010, 5:17 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche are going to have to make due without defenseman and captain Adam Foote for an undetermined amount of time thanks to a concussion. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater has the story on what’s going on with Foote.
The 39-year-old defenseman suffered the injury at the end of the first period Thursday night against San Jose, hitting his head into the glass behind the Avalanche net.
Foote becomes the second Avs player to be sidelined with a concussion, with Peter Mueller the other.
“We’ll see how (Foote) is tomorrow, but right now we’re taking it on a day-by-day basis,” Avs coach Joe Sacco said.
Foote provides the big, physical presence on the blue line for Colorado, and while the Avs will miss that, his lack of foot speed in the Avs high-intensity style of play likely won’t be. Foote is out for the Avs game against Los Angeles and could miss more than that.
Thankfully for the Avs, they’ve gotten improved play from John-Michael Liles who has scored in each of Colorado’s seven games this year and leads the team with a +5 rating. Expect the physical play to be stepped up from Scott Hannan while Foote is out of the lineup.
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 22
- BREAKING: Flames fire Feaster 33
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 15
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 36
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 77
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)