Oct 22, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are going to have to make due without defenseman and captain Adam Foote for an undetermined amount of time thanks to a concussion. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater has the story on what’s going on with Foote.
The 39-year-old defenseman suffered the injury at the end of the first period Thursday night against San Jose, hitting his head into the glass behind the Avalanche net.
Foote becomes the second Avs player to be sidelined with a concussion, with Peter Mueller the other.
“We’ll see how (Foote) is tomorrow, but right now we’re taking it on a day-by-day basis,” Avs coach Joe Sacco said.
Foote provides the big, physical presence on the blue line for Colorado, and while the Avs will miss that, his lack of foot speed in the Avs high-intensity style of play likely won’t be. Foote is out for the Avs game against Los Angeles and could miss more than that.
Thankfully for the Avs, they’ve gotten improved play from John-Michael Liles who has scored in each of Colorado’s seven games this year and leads the team with a +5 rating. Expect the physical play to be stepped up from Scott Hannan while Foote is out of the lineup.
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 40
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 32
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 65
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 48
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22