Oct 22, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are going to have to make due without defenseman and captain Adam Foote for an undetermined amount of time thanks to a concussion. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater has the story on what’s going on with Foote.
The 39-year-old defenseman suffered the injury at the end of the first period Thursday night against San Jose, hitting his head into the glass behind the Avalanche net.
Foote becomes the second Avs player to be sidelined with a concussion, with Peter Mueller the other.
“We’ll see how (Foote) is tomorrow, but right now we’re taking it on a day-by-day basis,” Avs coach Joe Sacco said.
Foote provides the big, physical presence on the blue line for Colorado, and while the Avs will miss that, his lack of foot speed in the Avs high-intensity style of play likely won’t be. Foote is out for the Avs game against Los Angeles and could miss more than that.
Thankfully for the Avs, they’ve gotten improved play from John-Michael Liles who has scored in each of Colorado’s seven games this year and leads the team with a +5 rating. Expect the physical play to be stepped up from Scott Hannan while Foote is out of the lineup.
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 0
- Will winning trump revenge tonight? 0
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 6
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 7
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 33
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)