Oct 22, 2010, 5:17 PM EDT
The Colorado Avalanche are going to have to make due without defenseman and captain Adam Foote for an undetermined amount of time thanks to a concussion. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater has the story on what’s going on with Foote.
The 39-year-old defenseman suffered the injury at the end of the first period Thursday night against San Jose, hitting his head into the glass behind the Avalanche net.
Foote becomes the second Avs player to be sidelined with a concussion, with Peter Mueller the other.
“We’ll see how (Foote) is tomorrow, but right now we’re taking it on a day-by-day basis,” Avs coach Joe Sacco said.
Foote provides the big, physical presence on the blue line for Colorado, and while the Avs will miss that, his lack of foot speed in the Avs high-intensity style of play likely won’t be. Foote is out for the Avs game against Los Angeles and could miss more than that.
Thankfully for the Avs, they’ve gotten improved play from John-Michael Liles who has scored in each of Colorado’s seven games this year and leads the team with a +5 rating. Expect the physical play to be stepped up from Scott Hannan while Foote is out of the lineup.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 22
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 34
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)