Oct 22, 2010, 5:17 PM EST
The Colorado Avalanche are going to have to make due without defenseman and captain Adam Foote for an undetermined amount of time thanks to a concussion. The Denver Post’s Adrian Dater has the story on what’s going on with Foote.
The 39-year-old defenseman suffered the injury at the end of the first period Thursday night against San Jose, hitting his head into the glass behind the Avalanche net.
Foote becomes the second Avs player to be sidelined with a concussion, with Peter Mueller the other.
“We’ll see how (Foote) is tomorrow, but right now we’re taking it on a day-by-day basis,” Avs coach Joe Sacco said.
Foote provides the big, physical presence on the blue line for Colorado, and while the Avs will miss that, his lack of foot speed in the Avs high-intensity style of play likely won’t be. Foote is out for the Avs game against Los Angeles and could miss more than that.
Thankfully for the Avs, they’ve gotten improved play from John-Michael Liles who has scored in each of Colorado’s seven games this year and leads the team with a +5 rating. Expect the physical play to be stepped up from Scott Hannan while Foote is out of the lineup.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 32
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 2
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)