Oct 22, 2010, 10:02 PM EDT
It’s been long enough that any dreams Nashville Predators fans had about Alex Radulov returning to the team are probably long forgotten. If they weren’t totally erased a few months ago, it seems just about official that he won’t play as a Predator ever again.
That’s because the talented Russian winger will ply his trade in Russia for two more seasons after the 2010-11 expires, as Radulov reportedly signed a two-year extension with Salavat Yulaef of the KHL. Radulov made that decision rather than flirting with an NHL return because he was worried about returning to the NHL before the league signs a new Collective Bargaining Agreement, according to a story by Dmitry Chesnokov of Puck Daddy. In other words, Radulov wanted protection from a possible lockout.
Here’s what Radulov’s Russian agent Yuri Nikolaev said about Radulov’s chances of returning to the NHL, which was obviously pushed back even farther out into the future.
When Radulov’s contract in the KHL expires, he will be 27 years old. Nikolaev said that both the player and his agent held that number in mind when Radulov signed his extension, hoping that if Radulov does come back to the NHL, he will be considered a free agent. But for now, Radulov is staying in the KHL for the next three years.
It’s a shame for North American hockey fans that we must miss out on a fairly impressive talent in Radulov, who was just getting used to the NHL during his brief stint with the Predators. Yet, at 27, he would still have a few more prime years left if he did decide to return, so you never know.
My guess is that he won’t be greeted too warmly in Nashville, though.
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 3
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 9
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 35
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)