Oct 22, 2010, 11:55 PM EST
Note: We’ll take a look at the Vancouver Canucks – Minnesota Wild game tomorrow morning.
Gosh, St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks … you couldn’t provide another hat trick performance tonight? Rebels. Anyway, let’s recap four of Friday’s five games.
Rene Bourque was one of the three players who scored a hat trick tonight (things come in three’s … twice!) but also added an assist in this severe beating of the Blue Jackets. This is yet another blowout at home for Columbus and you have to wonder if they just took another hit at the box office. Jarome Iginla got in a fight in this one, but we’ll have more on that in a bit. Here is video of Bourque’s third career hat trick.
As you may already know, this will be known as the game in which Daniel Alfredsson scored a hat trick and his 1,000th career point. Some other players put together nice games in their own right, too. Brian Elliott stopped 32 out of 34 shots to beat Ryan Miller while Tim Connolly scored two goals for Buffalo in a losing effort.
The final of the three hat trick scorers also took the NHL lead in goals scored, as Steve Stamkos earned his sixth, seventh and eight tallies of the season in this one. His first goal ended up being the game-winner while he also added an assist as any doubt about his legitimacy as a star hockey player is rapidly disintegrating.
David Perron scored two goals while unlikely hero Roman Polak earned the game-winner with a heads-up play. Patrick Sharp continued his torrid early season goal scoring pace, earning his seventh of the season tonight. Ultimately Jaroslav Halak bested Marty Turco to help St. Louis win an important Central Division contest.
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 14
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 7
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 16
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 77
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)