Oct 22, 2010, 11:55 PM EDT
Note: We’ll take a look at the Vancouver Canucks – Minnesota Wild game tomorrow morning.
Gosh, St. Louis Blues and Chicago Blackhawks … you couldn’t provide another hat trick performance tonight? Rebels. Anyway, let’s recap four of Friday’s five games.
Rene Bourque was one of the three players who scored a hat trick tonight (things come in three’s … twice!) but also added an assist in this severe beating of the Blue Jackets. This is yet another blowout at home for Columbus and you have to wonder if they just took another hit at the box office. Jarome Iginla got in a fight in this one, but we’ll have more on that in a bit. Here is video of Bourque’s third career hat trick.
As you may already know, this will be known as the game in which Daniel Alfredsson scored a hat trick and his 1,000th career point. Some other players put together nice games in their own right, too. Brian Elliott stopped 32 out of 34 shots to beat Ryan Miller while Tim Connolly scored two goals for Buffalo in a losing effort.
The final of the three hat trick scorers also took the NHL lead in goals scored, as Steve Stamkos earned his sixth, seventh and eight tallies of the season in this one. His first goal ended up being the game-winner while he also added an assist as any doubt about his legitimacy as a star hockey player is rapidly disintegrating.
David Perron scored two goals while unlikely hero Roman Polak earned the game-winner with a heads-up play. Patrick Sharp continued his torrid early season goal scoring pace, earning his seventh of the season tonight. Ultimately Jaroslav Halak bested Marty Turco to help St. Louis win an important Central Division contest.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 4
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)